cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New property, new line, possible dodgy install...

alexh123drum

New property, new line, possible dodgy install...

Hi there,
Signed up for the top fibre package which got installed yesterday.
Experiencing line speed/connection issues and I'm wondering if the Openreach engineer didn't do the job properly.
He did nothing to the standard BT master socket (I read online this should have been changed to a fibre master socket?) and just plugged a microfilter in to the Openreach Modem. The modem he brought was rather old looking and all scuffed up. Was this the correct way to install this FTTC product?
The speed is sometimes very good but then goes very slow and sometimes doesn't get anything. Over the course of one Netflix film can buffer every odd 10 minutes and when it does buffer other devices seem to not load any content either.
I have been quoted about 60 meg on the line and I ran the BT speed tests which came back around the 15-30 mark on different occasions but I'm thinking this is more an intermittent on and off thing.
Do you think it is just the line "bedding in" or has the engineer done a ADSL style install here?
Any info appreciated thanks. Gonna get onto plusnet asap but thought I'd get a responce here quicker!
5 REPLIES 5
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: New property, new line, possible dodgy install...

Hi there is no bedding in period for fibre it runs at its fastest for the line from the get go.
It sounds like a poor install by the engineer, he / she should have installed a filtered faceplate that's part of the install and it should be at least a decent modem if it's all banned up as you say then it to could also be damaged.
with it being the weekend you might not here anything from the CRT until Monday, you could try phone support if you willing to hang on for the stupidly long waiting times or try online chat that can be faster.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Are you testing the speed on the router via Ethernet or wireless? Also time of day will make a difference.
alexh123drum

Ye I will get the chat loaded tomorrow morning when i get to work, might answer before lunch Wink
All wired tests. Running to a small switch at the TV via powerline adapter. Have isolated from this though and ran straight in with a long cat5 and same results.
Cheers
alexh123drum

have also tried with my old BT Hub4 which got the same results. It does seem a bit better today though so will see how we go cheers all
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests are showing there's high errors on the line and we're also detecting what's known as a Bridge Tap which essentially is a dodgy internal setup.
If you can respond to the text I've just sent I'll get a appointment booked in for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team