cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plusnet hub or stick to old modem/router?

FIXED
Ripplyuk
Grafter

New plusnet hub or stick to old modem/router?

I recently spoke to customer services about renewing my contract and as part of this, I was offered a new plusnet home hub. I decided to think about it and rang back a few days later. The next guy I spoke to didn't mention it so I reminded him that I had been offered the new hub as part of the deal. He said I'd be better to stick to my separate modem and router, that the hub wouldn't be suitable and would probably make my speed and connection much worse. Then he dashed off to double check, came back and said that actually it would be fine and sent one out.

Now I've got it, I keep wondering which is true. I don't want to start having  problems but I'm unsure which is best to use. Could anyone advise me? 

3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New plusnet hub or stick to old modem/router?

Fix

@Ripplyuk

Unfortunately the jury is out on whether the Plusnet Hub One is 

1. better
  2. worse
  3. same as

any existing system, in use.

I'd go by the motto, if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Just treat it as a spare to have around in case either of the 2 current devices break, then you would need to swap across to it.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
barry

I changed over to hub 1 three months ago simple to set up had no problems and its cheaper to run if I was you I would go for it.

Ripplyuk
Grafter

It would be handy to swap over to the hub because I'm running out of sockets and the separate modem and router means two plugs. On the other hand, this hub is a big ugly thing, not small and neat like the current router. 

I might give it a go and keep the old router/modem, just in case. I'll swap back if the hub doesn't work out.