cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New order clarity please?

Jayappleaddict
Dabbler

New order clarity please?

I have a modem and router on the way from PN. And my only confusion is that I have one socket on my phone socket there is no separate ones. So do I connect my open reach modem through a micro filter with phone also connected through the microfilter..?
Cheers guys Wink
11 REPLIES 11
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: New order clarity please?

Welcome to the forum Jayappleaddict.
What you've said is right. If you don't have a pre-filtered socket, using a micro filter should work fine  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I wouldn't recommend a micro filter for fibre it's not good enough yes it would work but most are cheap and nasty giving poor performance i would look into getting a Openreach  filtered Mk2 Or Mk3 faceplate. 
Jayappleaddict
Dabbler

Well I use a microfilter for Sky fibre pro currently, no issues but have never had to use a separate modem. Slightly confused now  Shocked
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Whilst a microfilter will work, it may prevent you from getting the best speeds possible out of your fibre connection. What speed do you get with Sky fibre?
Jayappleaddict
Dabbler

76mb down and 12 up. Cheers
Terranova667
Pro

No reason to be confused it makes no difference if you use a separate setup or an all in one when it comes to connecting to the master socket,  I'm just going by experience as i say some microfilters can be really hit and miss whilst they work with fibre they are mostly designed with ADSL in mind the openreach faceplates are designed with Fibre in mind.
that said  if the mircofilter your using is working fine and you got no issues and your happy to still use it then go for it.  
Jayappleaddict
Dabbler

If after my service goes live, it doesn't offer stability would plus net charge for a engineer to co me and install the correct faceplate. I think a staff answer may help on this one. Thanks
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The reason a filtered faceplate is a good idea is because you don't want to be sending the VDSL2 signal all around your extension wiring. With the filtered faceplate, the filtering is done at that point so all your telephone extensions are already filtered. The exception of course is the cable to the modem. It can either plug into the top port of the master socket (unfiltered), or can be internally connected to the AB terminals inside the master socket (in the case of modem extension wiring where you want it to look neater).
The drawback of separate microfilters is that the VDSL signal is going around all your extension wiring, which can be lossy at VDSL frequencies. So your signal is more likely to be attenuated, which translates to slower speeds.
The other drawback is just that some microfilters are poorly constructed and don't do a good job of filtering.
As Terranova667 correctly points out, your setup with the microfilter is working in that you are getting close to the top end speeds. You must be fairly close to the cabinet. The only gain that may be possible by changing to a MK3 faceplate would be that it might increase your upload speed. That is purely conjecture, as it is hard to tell if it would improve or not.
If you have a lot of extension wiring in your house, and use microfilters at each extension, then you may benefit from the filtered faceplate. There are no absolutes unfortunately other than to say that generally, filtering at the master socket is better than filtering at each phone extension.
b1ggles
Grafter

Isn't fitting a vdsl faceplate part of the engineer install and one of the benefits of joining plusnet as they do it properly.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I think because the OP already is on fibre, they won't get the new faceplate and engineer visit.
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: b1ggles
Isn't fitting a vdsl faceplate part of the engineer install and one of the benefits of joining plusnet as they do it properly.

That only happens with a new fibre install the OP already has fibre from a previous ISP so the engineer wouldn't be installing it they would just enable at the cab it's down to the OP to sort things out at their end, that's the sad part of a self install which sadly many will be facing once openreach stop doing installs early next year.