Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line speed problems

blundey
Dabbler

New line speed problems

Hi Peeps,
I work in IT infrastructure so know a thing or two, however this issue has me stumped.
New build house, brand new line. On top package where i should get 60-80mb. However im getting 35-38mb down and 19mb up. So with this i figured ive been put on the wrong package and put me on unlimited fibre (max 38mb), instead of unlimited fibre extra (plusnet) but the chat agents tell me I am on the right package and I see the right package listed in my portal page of plusnet. So I had an engineer come around from BT (who happens to be a neigbour and he said line is fine, and his machine tested 65mb down no problem at all.
So that lead me to think must be the router or my laptops. But nope, thats not the case. Cabled in and wireless I get the same problem. Only 35mb down. So my conclusion is...the modem is faulty, and can only handle 35-38mb/s which i find hard to believe. Or the orders team have put me on the wrong package, but its not showing on my portal...
Confused, and not sure what  angle to go down. Ive requested a new modem/router to eliminate that, but it does appear to me that its too much of a coincidence that the max speed i can get is the top speed of the package below the one i should be on. I am 1.6km away from the green exchange box too...so thats not it!
Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11
scottymc
Grafter

Re: New line speed problems

I think your about right if your 1.6km from cabinet mate
Talamat
Grafter

Doesn't explain the engineer's test.
blundey
Dabbler

Sorry meant to say 100 meters max, not 1.6km ( that was another reading ) - engineer can get 65mb down that line....so whats the modem doing?! Are there any settings on the modem that will cap that speed depending on what package we are put on?
Rippong
Grafter

For 100M I'd expect a lot more than 65! I'm over 250 and my sync to the cabinet is around 90mb down and 27mb up!!! (Limited to my package by Plusnet, of course).
You must have a line made of string......
blundey
Dabbler

I know I can get 65mb its been proven..so my real question is why am i not getting it? Line is able to...anyone else had issues with the new modems? If not have you been put on the wrong package but they were unable to see their mistake?
scottymc
Grafter

Lol .....string ....... 100m is a different story you should be getting max speed or there abouts ...
I've got the hub one and had no problems at all first few days it was syncing max then settled at about 70 meg and touch wood hasn't dropped connection in 7 weeks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

can you provide the information requested in the speed sticky on this board
Talamat
Grafter

Strangely Blundey I'm getting almost the same problem (all be it, a lot slower than you).  Tho apparently mine might be down to errors on the line.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll stand corrected as I do not know this to be correct, but if the BT guy can get 65meg when he tests the line the maybe it is down to your Plusnet profile? I'm suggesting this as I do not think the Plusnet profile would be applied when he does his test as he uses equipment plugged directly in to the socket so the profile might not be in effect as there is no Modem / Router in the way.
Just a thought.
blundey
Dabbler

Originally plusnet detected low signal on the line...or something along those words...so thats why the engineer came and done these tests for me...
Ill get the speedtest results requested above but im at work right now...so will be later. Ill also post up all the line details and testing reports that I have.
blundey
Dabbler

Quick update on this. Sent updates to plusnet advising them that the line speed is correct but the modem is restricted. I recieved this update:
WP profile was restricting. Speeds should be restored.
So that almost sounds like there is a limitation applied to the modem/user profile and it was set incorrectly.