cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line appears to have a fixed data rate well below the maximum data rate

marsom
Hooked

New line appears to have a fixed data rate well below the maximum data rate

I've recently moved by Plusnet service and upgraded it at the same time as my new line is capable of faster speeds than my old line. 

I'm not getting anywhere near what I thought i would on speed tests (attached) so reviewed the router settings and as you can see (attached image) my data rate appears to be capped at 9995/40000. My maximum data rate is currently showing 15595/57440. I know this is a calculated maximum but the actual data rate strikes me as a human entered cap and not something system generated as a capability.

My speedtests appear to be in line with the lower speed fibre product too which makes me more concerned there is something not right.

I checked with the account team and I am definitely on the faster product, could someone confirm why my data rate appears to be capped? 

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: New line appears to have a fixed data rate well below the maximum data rate

You are not on the faster product, CS have lied to you.

You can double check by running the BTW speed test, it will show your max available speed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@marsom sounds like your account got changed BUT the order to Openreach to change the line to 80/20 never got placed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

marsom
Hooked

Thanks for the info. Do plusnet CS or tech support watch this forum or do I need to contact them directly to check? 

This is after the activation of the line happened 6 days after I was originally told it was going to, Plusnet CS really do struggle some times.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do plusnet CS or tech support watch this forum or do I need to contact them directly to check? 

No but the PN help team do, although they seem a bit thin on the ground recently. I'd try calling CS and making sure they're aware that you are synching at 40/10 . They ought to do a GEA test to check and that will confirm that you are provisioned incorrectly on 40/10.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

marsom
Hooked

Seems they are too busy and the line is cutting off after asking to call them back another time. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You could try raising a fault at https://faults.plus.net

marsom
Hooked

I've done that for now thanks!