Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installed not too impress

rookey
Grafter

New installed not too impress

Ok
I have had Fibre installed today and i know it needs 10 days training.  But it seem worse than my Broadband I had before.. Speed low as 8 mb and get up to about 30.  I manage to get one hard wire test at 73 but after than below 30.
Wifi test all been pretty poor. I just spoke to someone at plus net and they told me I will never get above 30mb via wifi is this true? If it is then I don't see the point why I upgraded
Any help pls
38 REPLIES 38
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: New installed not too impress

Fibre ,, Does not need 10 day training  Wink  and if you are using the PN router wifi is IFFY
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
rookey
Grafter

So the plus net router are rubbish for wifi then? 
So what wifi I need to plug into this fibre open reach box?Huh
rookey
Grafter

Speed test

When I do a speed test now the needle goes right up to 58 meg then goes down to 18 whys this
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've had no problems with the Sagem router, except for the fact it only supports 2.4 GHz (so my phone maxes out at "only" 40 megabits on a speed test). You should, if you test with the same speedtest.net server each time, get consistent speed results.
If your speeds vary wildly between tests, use the thinkbroadband.com tester and run tests in morning, evening and night. If you sign up for an account you can collect your results to look back.
Any decent router which supports PPPoE authentication will work with PlusNet. Many people use the Asus routers - they're good, a little expensive for the best ones, but you get what you pay for.
rookey
Grafter

Still not impress. Line is set at 77mb looking at my plus net account
Today speed 6-8 mb
rookey
Grafter

Does fibre need line training

I remember ADSL needed 10 days line training. Is it same for fibre as my speed is like a yoyo
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Does fibre need line training

No
[Kept it short and sweet  ;)]
ChrisWoods
Rising Star

Over the wifi?
Tried the usual stuff of changing the channel? Have you done a scan to check for neighbours' wifi access points? Is the router installed in a place away from any electrical or radio interference?
If you're experiencing any kind of interference or signal attenuation, most of the wireless bandwidth will be used by the router furiously sending retransmit packets of data your computer claims it hasn't received. This is what causes the drop in speed over wifi.
If you're using a desktop with a wifi card in, you may need to re-site the antenna.

If your line profile is actually 8 mbit, that's a profile error which  can fix if you call tech support.
ChrisWoods
Rising Star

No, but AIUI but if you repower the Openreach modem too frequently the exchange kit will think you're experiencing line problems and throttle back your profile.
You can repower the Plusnet router as often as you want to reestablish a new PPPoE session, that's unaffected.
rookey
Grafter

Then why my speed like a yoyo
This morning test
6mb
17mb
67mb
3mb
54mb
rookey
Grafter

My router is sited where BT put it as he put the open reach box on the main socket into the house and near it is the fuse board does that effect it?Huh
pwatson
Rising Star

Probably best discussed in your other thread?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144205.0
ChrisWoods
Rising Star

It may not help if your house wiring isn't great. You can run any length of decent ethernet cable between the modem and the router without a knock on effect on speeds (just don't run it parallel to power cables). Try putting the router in 'clear' space away from power wiring and slightly away from a wall.
If you have thick stone walls, they will just soak up 2.4 Ghz...
rookey
Grafter

It a newly built house so that shouldn't be a problem should it?? So can fuse board mess things?
Surely can't be walls if I get yo to 60meg sometime.
Are the plus net router that bad? Would I be best with a 2 channel wiri router such as the Apple one? Or does it need a modem in it. Or is the open reach box the modem?