cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation - no change in download speed

Branflake

New installation - no change in download speed

Just had FTTC connected yesterday. Download speed much the same as before on ADSL, 8-9. Upload speed much improved at about 16-17. Spoke to plusnet advisor who said it might take 2-3 days for speed to pick up. Is that normal?  Reading through some other posts here, one or two mention user "profile" might need changing at plusnet end to take advantage of FTTC speed. Wouldn't that be done automatically when you upgrade your account package?Huh
Thanks.  Undecided
11 REPLIES 11
mkdonspaul
Dabbler

Re: New installation - no change in download speed

Yep, its your profile that controls the speed...when I had mine done I had the same, download speed was the same but upload was 18-19.
Rang the helpline, my profile hadn't been changed, once done was advised to turn off and turn back on the BT openreach box and the plusnet router, the helpdesk said it might take up to 24 hours, but after the restart the speed was as I was expecting...does fluctuate slightly to being with but you should see the difference with a speed test within 24 hours and a reboot, if not...I'd get back to the helpdesk and ask them to check, HNY!  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That advice was garbage
Oncee the current line speed has changed
You do not turn off the BT Modem just go into the router interface and click on disconnect then after about 20 secs click on connect
Joshc
Grafter

Your profile has been updated and you should notice a difference in speed. If you are not noticing a difference please disconnect the router within the router settings and leave it disconnected for 5mins then reconnect. Smiley
Thanks
Branflake

Unfortunately, the BT OpenReach Engineer made a mess up of our connection in the street cabinet yesterday. Our phone now connects to another household in the street and we no longer have access to our home landline phone number. How on earth did he get that wrong??  And the best they can do, is say it will be fixed by Monday 5th - midnight. Unhappy Plusnet user. I hope customer service take note and endeavour to get BT Openreach to sort it out sooner. The fault report number is TR0000004196375.  
Joshc
Grafter

I am very sorry to hear what has happened, it must be very frustrating.
As you pointed out it is a mistake by a BT engineer, the fault has been raised and a correction date has been given.
It is not in Plusnet's hands, however I will keep an I on the situation and update as soon as I know more.
Thank you
Branflake

Thanks Josh. BT engineer at fault, not plusnet. However, can't contact them direct, referred back to plusnet to sort out. All very frustrating. Particularly when there doesn't seem to be any way to prioritise an engineer visit, when the problem was caused by them in the first place.
You would think the engineers would have a protocol that included ringing the client's number at the end of the work to ensure cross wire hadn't occurred. Perhaps that could be recommended to avoid similar in future.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Branflake
Was it an actual BTOR engineer, or a sub-contractor (Kelly or M J Quinn, usually, for FTTC installs)?
Branflake

Not sure. My feeling would be a sub-contractor. Update to saga. Had another engineer late this afternoon, sorted out the street cabinet cabling. We now have our own phone number back, an individual line, not a party line (you have to be of a certain age!) and fibre broadband. Download speed of 72 and upload of 17. Happy plusnet user!   Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

So, a Happy New Year all round, then...  Cool
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good looking speeds now, sorry for the issues you had earlier but hopefully you won't encounter any more from here on out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Branflake

Yes, speeds seem stable. Thanks.