Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install of FTTC - Unlimited Fibre Extra

loopyonion
Hooked

New install of FTTC - Unlimited Fibre Extra

Hi,

I had ADSL changed to FTTC, journey started on 4th Jan, when BT scheduled the work. It did not go well, as I was the 1st install into a brand new FTTC cabinet. There was a problem. And, I had to wait for box repairs.

On the 24th I received a call from BT to say that they were activating today. The hub one went off, and, after an hour, then a power cycle. I had broadband back. I have NOT done a factory reset.

A rock solid 32mb DL, and 7mb upload. I did pay for the EXTRA package.?

I have checked speeds on BTW etc, shows no faults. 

There is an open ticket at the minute, and a fault logged with plusnet.

So, the questions being:-

Is there a timescale before the speed/sync is upped?

Have plusnet (assuming it works like this) got the settings correct for the EXTRA speed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve.

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: New install of FTTC - Unlimited Fibre Extra

It is possible you have been put on the standard fibre product (40/10) instead of Fibre extra (80/20). What speeds does this checker give for your phone number?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

You should get the full speed straight away as soon as you are connected. PlusNet as a rule will not allow an order for Extra if you couldn't achieve the higher speeds so something isn't right.

loopyonion
Hooked

BTW checker shows no faults, 

DL of 32.5 out of 33.63 Mbps

UL of 8.37 out of 20 Mbps

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If those figures are from the BT Wholesale speed checker then things are not looking good.Sad

Your Upstream IP profile is 20 Mbps, this is a fixed value and shows your are on Fibre Extra. It would be 10Mbps on standard fibre.

Your downstream IP profile is 33.63 Mbps which is much lower than expected for a line which should be capable of over 40Mbps.The speed estimates from the link I gave earlier would help to clarify what speed your line can support. If the speeds you are getting are much lower than the estimates, there must be some other problem that PlusNet need to investigate.

loopyonion
Hooked

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 017XXXX on Exchange SAINT HELENS is served by Cabinet 34

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 68.7 49 19.9 13.8 41.1 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 58.8 37 17.4 9.3 31.6 Available -- --  

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 4 Available -- Yes  
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- Yes  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 18-01-1970            

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30-Nov-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.
loopyonion
Hooked

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

When your line has been first provisioned, you may notice that your band is set to the ‘open profile’ which is likely to be either; 0.128M-40M or 0.128M-80M on the downstream and either 0.128M-20M or 0.128M-10M(depending on whether you’re on an up to 38Mbps or 76Mbps product). your line will be left on an open profile for 2 days initially to allow the line to adjust following the installation.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums Steve

I can confirm you're on the right wholesale product.

Banding for your line is: 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

It just looks like your line is syncing below expectations. If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket as explained here we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate. I'll update your fault ticket shortly too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
loopyonion
Hooked

Hi,

I did a factory reset this morning, also went direct into the test plate. ( i had the BT filter plate already fitted).

The results were better. UL stayed the same, DL increased.

Heading the right way, but still looks capped.

CaptureBTW.PNG