cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install connection speed issues after fixing bad extension

MozzerWalsh

New install connection speed issues after fixing bad extension

Hi All,
I've moved from Sky Fibre to Plus net Fibre this week, at the same time I moved my router to a new location to get better WiFi coverage. I'm on the 76/20 package, but I'm only expecting to get 50/15 because of the distance from the exchange.
I've found that the extension I plugged into was getting low connection speeds 28/8, when I plugged into the master socket a couple of days ago I got 45/15. I think I fixed the extension wiring but I am still only getting 30/10 at max on the extension. When I now plug back into the master I'm only getting 35/10.
Is it possible that the training has reduced the speed that I can connect at ? If so how do I go about getting that cleared ?
Maurice
9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New install connection speed issues after fixing bad extension

@mozzerwalsh
Under FTTC, the speed is controlled by the cabinet and is constantly being revised to try and ensure that the line is stable. As you have been moving the modem/router around, the cabinet has reduced your speed to try and get a stable connection.
Just try to leave your modem/router on for a week or two and hopefully the speed will increase when the cabinet sees a stable connection.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi MozzerWalsh.
As georgelnx has indicated, DLM (at the Cabinet) will have viewed your disconnects and speed drops as an unstable connection. Unfortunately a reset can't be done as it used to be on ADSL. Openreach/BTw will usually only consider allowing that after a fault repair. Leaving it connected without interruption will hopefully result in DLM increasing the speed again. It's also possible that it had increased Interleaving  which it might try reducing first.
However, your wiring may still be a limiting factor here. Any extension wiring must be twisted pair to at least CW1308 standard and only the Blue pair should be connected - no bell-wires. If you have a standard NTE5a Master socket, then the Blue+white trace should be on terminal 2 and the White+blue trace on terminal 5 - no wires on any of the other terminals. If you have a Mk3 SSFP (vDSL plate) fitted, the extension wiring pair for the modem(/router) should go on the terminals B & A of that plate, again no other wires should be connected. Ideally only the one extension socket should be connected, additional wiring and sockets (that aren't filtered) might have an adverse effect on the sync speeds.
(Note - wiring of different colours usually indicates the wiring isn't twisted pair and will have adverse effects on speed).
Also note should it be necessary to disconnect the modem(/router) again to make any changes or move it, you should do so by powering it off first - not just unplugging it from the line. In the circumstances I would be inclined to do this last thing in the day and stay off overnight, but in any event it should always be an absolute minimum of 30 minutes (not 1 second less), better still an hour.
MozzerWalsh

Thanks guys for your answers, now that I've left the connection on for a few days the speed has gone up to 42/12, but I think the extension may still be causing a problem as I get disconnects every now and then. The cabling from the master to the extension is only about 3m, but it looks old so I've ordered new cabling (CW1308) and a new extension socket with in built filter.
I'll replace the extension and wiring and see if it stabilises the connection.
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure the Filter is vDSL spec.'d to BT SIN346 v2.11  Note you only need a filter/filtered socket at the point you are plugging in a phone. So if you are only plugging in the Modem/Router at an extension socket then you only need an RJ11 (or RJ45) socket for it. So you'd be better getting a Mk3 vDSL SSFP (such as this one) to fit to the NTE5a Master if you haven't already got the plate, and plug the phone in there.
MozzerWalsh

Hi All,
I've rewired my extension today and put a solwise socket with in-built filter, reconnected everything and I've re-connected at 57m (PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=57059Kbps, Up Rate=13471Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.6dB, Up=6.0dB). I was connecting at about 40m, so this is a huge improvement.
But when I do a speed test it's made very little difference
Before
1/22/2016 3:52 PM GMT 212.159.79.201 38.50 Mb/s 11.59 Mb/s 19 ms
After the rewiring
1/22/2016 10:03 PM GMT 212.159.79.201 38.29 Mb/s 12.58 Mb/s 19 ms
1/22/2016 7:36 PM GMT 212.159.79.201 36.20 Mb/s 12.52 Mb/s 19 ms
1/22/2016 6:19 PM GMT 212.159.79.201 39.19 Mb/s 12.58 Mb/s 19 ms
Maybe it just because it's a friday night, so I'll check again tomorrow AM
Maurice
Anotherone
Champion

You will probably find that your Current Line speed (Login required) at the time hadn't yet updated to match your new BT IP Profile (within 200kbps).
Run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test and check the BT IP Profile.
MozzerWalsh

The Current line speed has now updated.
Estimated line speed:
    60Mb (This may vary between 39.8Mb and 60Mb) - Checked on 2015-12-11 22:57:03
Current line speed:
    55.2 Mb
I've checked on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and it reports the throughput that I'm getting, the profile looks right to me, but I'm still only getting 39m
Download speedachieved during the test was - 38.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 38.66 Mbps-55.23 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 55.23 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.86Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Should I just accept that 40m is the max that I'll get or should I be getting closer to 55m ?
Maurice
Anotherone
Champion

No, you shouldn't accept it, you should be getting a lot closer to the 55Mbps. It maybe that you need to drop your PPP session and reconnect to get the updated profile. Log into your router and click Disconnect for the PPP Internet session, wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect.
If that doesn't solve it, then there maybe a stuck profile somewhere in the system which might need manual intervention from Plusnet.
MozzerWalsh

Dropping the connecting has helped a bit, I'm not getting 43m, an increase of 5m.
My YouView box is now recording an Internet channel so that mat be slowing it down a bit, later today I'll try a speed test with everything else disconnected.
Thanks Anotherone, for you help.