Did you mean: 

New fibre upgrade and slower than expected speeds

FIXED
jezmjohn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New fibre upgrade and slower than expected speeds

Hi

We were upgraded to fibre on Tuesday, we are c. 300ft from the green box and are syncing at 39.06 with a 38.71 IP profile.

Max download speeds are around 18mb or 19mb, I can't believe its congestion / cross talk as fibre has just arrived and I don't think take up has been that high yet.

I have done a TAP3 test, attached and would appreciate any feedback.

At points this evening speeds were 7mb and at one point 0.8mb

I understand that that the 10 day training period is not in use for FTTC?

From router:

DSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 12:13:50
Downstream: 39.06 Mbps
Upstream: 1.952 Mbps

Another weird thing is that I disconnected and under Advanced Settings > Internet I get: 0 Days, under connection I get 2 days so it does not think I disconnected?Screenshot 2016-05-05 22.13.43.png

Thanks

Jez

8 REPLIES 8
scottymc
Grafter

Re: New fibre upgrade and slower than expected speeds

Hi mate what's your PlusNet line profile at .. Go here

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

You will need to login.

Might be stuck.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

As stated it could be a stuck profile (ADSL) fibre does not have a 10 day training period either. You get the fastest speed from day 1, and DLM monitors it and makes changes after the second day iirc.

Login to above link and it current line speed isn't 40mb, pop over to live chat and ask for a profile nudge.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi jezmjohn, welcome to the forum by the way.

scottymc is right, your Current Line Speed is probably still at an ADSL setting, and there might be another profile that Plusnet need to kick.

With regard to the times that your see, they are different times. The one under "Connections" is the DSL connection time - the one that is your sync to the Cab - you definitely do NOT want to be disconnecting that. The one under "Internet" is the time of your current PPPoE session to Plusnet and hence you did correctly Disconnect which is all that should be needed.

It's possible that the profile may have automatically corrected by now, but note there is no 10 day training period on FTTC. Fibre DLM might be especially aggressive after the first 24 hrs but thereafter it is monitoring continuously.  Any changes that it decides are needed as usually done in the early hours on the night following the previous 24hr assessment period.

Avoid disconnecting your DSL connection as DLM could see this as an unstable connection and when DLM does change settings - increase Interleaving depth, etc. it can be quite a wait for it to reverse some of those settings - there is no SNR Reset available to ISPs as there was on ADSL. Fibre connections normally will only be reset by OR/BTw after a fault repair.

Should you ever need to disconnect your DSL, the safest way is to disconnect your PPPoE session first, wait about 30 seconds and then pull the power plug on your Modem and then remain off for an hour or more.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've just updated the profile on our end.

If you log into the router and disconnect then reconnect it should do the trick.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jezmjohn
Dabbler

Thanks, this looks like it was the issue Smiley

jezmjohn
Dabbler

Thanks for explaining - makes sense now - just happy that we finally have speeds above 6mb in the village!

jezmjohn
Dabbler

Fix

Hi Matthew 

Great, that seems to have done it.

Do plusnet offer a 40/10 package, or if I need faster upload is it the 80/20?

If I do upgrade how long does the new speed normally take to be activated?

Thanks again,

Jez

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Sadly Plusnet only offer 40/2 so yeah if you want more upload you either have to go to another ISP that offers more or Upgrade to 80/20 but even then if your line isn't capable of 80/20 speeds then Plusnet wont upgrade you so the only choice then would be to change ISP or stick with the lower 40/2. 

If your able to upgrade then i believe it takes to your next billing date for the upgrade to come into effect but i'm not 100% sure on that, one of the Plusnet staff or someone that has had an upgrade should be able to confirm that for you.