cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre modem/router soon?

emtunc

New fibre modem/router soon?

Hello,
Does anyone know if Plusnet is or will be offering an alternate router/all-in-one to the Technicolor TG582n in the foreseeable future?
I often experience random reboots, UPnP port mapping issues and other intermittent niggles so am looking to replace the router with a more suitable one.
I do have a lot of devices connected to the router which could explain the stability issues so if the TG582n is sticking around then I'll probably look at getting a Draytek - maybe the VDSL all in one modem/router model... although they are quite pricey.
9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New fibre modem/router soon?

There aren't any plans as of yet I'm afraid.
If anything changes we'll let people know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Last time I checked Plusnet were already offering an alternate router to the 582n, it's not an all in one (not for FTTC at least), and there are various issues reported with the Sagemcom 2704N so I'm not sure you'd really want one of those.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have got one waiting to be connected and once the line is actually working I will buy a decent one which doesn't require the BT modem
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I will buy a decent one which doesn't require the BT modem

What's wrong with the BT modem? My fibre works perfectly well with my old Asus Rt-N56U connected to my ECI modem. My speeds are right at the top end of what is predicted some 500 meters from my cab.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two answers really
I don't want a second box cluttering things up
I want to monitor what my line is doing with respect to speed and errors
Re the ECL modem - that doesn't even fully support G.INP nor vectoring which, as my cab is supplied via BDUK it may have it
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

With the new line rental charges from September, I'd have thought Plusnet could be looking at approaching AVM to invest some of that major subsidised profit in providing some classy kit to really attract customers.
After all, marketing seems to be a big driver now at Plusnet and BT, Sky, Talk-Talk etc. all make a big thing about how good their 'super-mega router-hub device' is compared to the competition, this would be the next natural marketing coup for Plusnet to blow the competition away.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Two answers really

Thanks Jim. My modem is hidden away upstairs along with the router. Re the other stuff, that's way above my pay grade!! Wink
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

TBH i can see PN offering anything better than the Sagemcom 2704N , they cant even update the firmware  Sad  the only thing you can say about it is yes it works to a fashion .
PN looks like its heading for the EL Cheepo end of the market so there is no need to showcase a decent modem/router
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've got a TG582n, BT modem and a LightwaveRF wifi link, add to this a piggyback Homeplug it looks like the Kennedy Space Centre behind SWMBO's net drapes by the front door. but one new box isn't going to cure anything.
ho hum perhaps someone will come out with a retro brass effect solution to suit or decor  Grin
/edit and I forgot the Western Digital My Passport which gets plugged into the TG582n as well!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra