cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation - what's the damage?

matth1j
Dabbler

New fibre installation - what's the damage?

Hi - I've just switched from Sky non-fibre to Plusnet fibre; installation is happening next Thursday.
Can anyone tell me what the engineer will do in terms of changes to the fabric of the house? Or will he just fiddle with the master socket?
Cheers
John
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New fibre installation - what's the damage?

Unless you have asked for an extension kit he will just fiddle with the master socket as that is where the Openreach modem will be located
matth1j
Dabbler

Thanks. I did ask for the extension kit, as the socket is in the hall, and router is an adjacent room..
However, obviously we already have an extension between the master socket (hall) and router (room); will the Plusnet extension kit just replace this?
thesawdust
Grafter

BT moved my master socket to the location of my ADSL router. Like you, my master socket is in the hall way and no power near.
Smiley
matth1j
Dabbler

Interesting; guess I wouldn't need the extension kit if they did that. Have to wait and see...
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

It depends on the engineer. They aren't really supposed to move the master sockets though, but will install the extension kit for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
matth1j
Dabbler

Thanks.
Given that the engineer is booked for next Thursday, when should my router turn up?
gswindale
Grafter

Probably next  Wednesday or Thursday.
PN seem to prefer sending them out as close to the installation date as possible.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: matth1j
Interesting; guess I wouldn't need the extension kit if they did that. Have to wait and see...

In the past, the engineer would be willing to move the master socket provided the "extension kit" tickbox had been ticked on the order, even if no extension kit was actually used. However, if the box had not been ticked, he wouldn't install the extension kit OR move the master.
Not sure nowadays...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.