cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation - only 9-ish mbps download after three days.

steveinhosm
Dabbler

New fibre installation - only 9-ish mbps download after three days.

Is this normal? I realise that new services take a week or so to stabilise, but so far my fastest download speed as indicated by an Ookla test is 9.3 mbps, while the upload figure is just under 10 mbps. This is six days after fibre to the cabinet was enabled to this property and three days after the Plusnet router was delivered here (don't ask!).
The predicted download speed was around 40 mbps and the upload speed is on a par with that being achieved.
Should I expect a fourfold increase in download speed soon or is there likely to be a fault?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: New fibre installation - only 9-ish mbps download after three days.

If your speedtest was performed over a wireless connect, try again over a hard wired connection to the router.

Run a BT speed test.  After the first test is completed, scroll down the page and click on 'Further Diagnostics'.  Enter your phone number.
Report back what it says for the 'IP profiles'.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

What is the 'Current Line speed' reported by Plusnet in Member's Centre:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
steveinhosm
Dabbler

Thanks for that swift reply.
I've just carried out tests, as suggested, on the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance site.
The "best" result is, as expected, extremely disappointing:
Download: 8.49 mbps.
Upload: 7.74 mbps.
Ping: 23.75.
I then went to the diagnostics section, which indicated that, for downloads,  "your acceptable range of speeds is 33.14 to 41.42".
Clearly, all is not right and, after one non-show by the Open Reach engineer and more than three weeks for my Plusnet router to arrive, I've every reason to be disappointed so far in my efforts to secure fast and effective FTTC broadband.
steveinhosm
Dabbler

PS. The quoted line speed is shown as 40 mbps.
bill888
Champion

Looks like you are provisioned on a 80/20 BT line based on BT acceptable range of speeds, and on the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre 40/20 service (aka. current line speed 40 mbps)
Did you perform the speed tests using say a PC or notebook wired direct to the router, because the low 8+ mbps download speed you are witnessing looks awfully like a wireless speed issue ?
I presume you have the new Sagemcom Hub Zero router from Plusnet.

steveinhosm
Dabbler

Thanks again for taking such an interest in this problem.
Yes, I used my home PC, which doesn't even have wire-less facilities, and always, in any case, prefer ethernet cables.
All other programs on my PC, including firewall and anti-virus software, were disabled, of course.
You'll have noticed that the figures obtained with the BT speed test via my PC are virtually identical to those using Ookla.
Yes, too, about the router being a Sagecom provided by Plusnet.
Cheers,
Steve.
bill888
Champion

Can you check the ethernet port on your PC is working at 100 mbps (full duplex) and not 10 mbps (half duplex) connection rate?
I presume you are using Windows.
Here is an example showing 100mbps speed:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/wfSsG.png
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

sounds very much like you have a fault I would raise a ticket and get it looked at, and just to point out there is no weekly settling period on fibre it's ADSL only with FIbre it's 48hrs before DLM unless there is a mjaor issue in which case it will act before then.
steveinhosm
Dabbler

Thanks for both replies.
I've checked the ethernet setting on my (Windows 7) PC, as suggested, and all's okay (100).
I'll contact Plusnet directly and let everyone know the outcome.
Cheers
Steve.
baldrick
Grafter

A few of us had the same thing back in May. The solution was for PN to drop the profile from 40 then put it back. This mysteriously fixed the issue.
steveinhosm
Dabbler

Phew!
Turned off both modem and router for about 12 hours overnight.
Ran Speedtest (Ookla) tests on my mobile phone and BT Wholesale Broadband Performance tests on my PC  (using ethernet and all other programs disabled) several times over the past hour...and all now seems to be working okay.
Typical figures:
Download: 38.07 mbps; Upload: 7.81 mbps; Ping: 34.25.
A relief, indeed...
Thanks again for all the interest shown. I can only assume that the problem was somehow caused by the Plusnet router and telephone line not working correctly together (that's a non-technical description, of course!) and that the extended power-off has rectified any conflict.