cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation drops out when phone used

Brads42

New fibre installation drops out when phone used

Hi, daughter just moved in to a new build and had fibre installed a few days ago. All well until they noticed whenever they used the phone the router lost connection. This happens without a phone being plugged in and no other sockets in use.

Been some time since I troubleshooted broadband so not up to speed with latest developments but having had a quick look it appears the engineer has plugged router in to a combined dab/sat/phone plate and not the clearly marked master socket however issue occurs no matter where the router, plusnet hub?, is plugged in.

I want to go through the basics with her before she phones support so what's a good way to start? 

Ta.

7 REPLIES 7
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New fibre installation drops out when phone used

Give it a try in the test socket.  If it's still doing the same, get it reported.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I'm not sure that I followed the bit about "...no phone being plugged in..." in your first paragraph. It is calls on the landline phone that are causing the drop out? If so, has she/you tried connecting the phone through a filter?

Brads42

The "no phone plugged in" bit meant we call her number without the phone being plugged in just to see if the phone was the issue, it isn't.

Just unsure why the master socket wasn't used and whether this multi socketed plate is how new build broadband installations are supposed to go.

Will get her to try test socket and take it from there, thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

think what you’re saying is that even if there is no phone plugged in, if you ring her number the Internet drops out. Try using the filter plugged directly into the test socket, that’s the one exposed after you take off the front of the master socket. My only other thought is whether a faulty filter could be the cause. Do you have a spare you could try?

It sounds like a BT problem but you will need to jump through these hoops to get it reported by Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

So just phoning the number causes a drop out, even if there isn't a phone there to receive the call?

I think that I'm with @notmyname & @Baldrick1 try plugging into the test socket and see if that cures ii.

If there is a fault you would need to do that anyhow before reporting a fault to Plusnet.  As you probably know, they say to run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ before reporting a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Brads42

@Baldrick1 wrote:

think what you’re saying is that even if there is no phone plugged in, if you ring her number the Internet drops out. 

Yes that's what I was trying to say. Told her to try what you've suggested, don't have any spare filters these days but told her to try a new one if the fault is still apparent. 

Was just that it's different to our set up. We got the dual master socket when we got fibre but hers is just a "normal" one which was ignored by the installer. 

Thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Brads42

@BrightonRock Yup, that's it. Kind of hoping it's a Plusnet\BT issue rather than internal wiring otherwise it'll be down to trying to get the builders to add it to the growing snagging list