cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install

dazeon

New fibre install

Hello,
I am due to have my fibre installed on January 7th.
My house is a relatively new build circa 2006, which I had always assumed had an external NTE.
However, upon closer inspection it appears to be something slightly different, please see attached pictures.
The ducted BT line runs from my cabinet to the grey enclosure and is connected with gel clips to a length of wire that then runs internally (around 2 metres) to a master socket.
My concern is that the 2 metre run of wire from the grey enclosure to my master socket is of extremely poor quality, it is essentially bell wire!
I have read that this type of wire is not suitable for fibre and could have a detrimental impact on speed.
What I would like to know is will this cause any issues, and what are my chances of getting this replaced with the higher quality black BT cable during my install?
I have also attached the results of the BT ADSL Checker if they are of any use?
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: New fibre install

well your estimates are at the top end of the scale so that's a very good start, as for the cable casuing issues hard to say you will only know for sure once your connected, the chance of it being replaced for higher quality during the install are nill the enginner is only there to install the modem and replace the master socket with a filtered version if it's not already filtered and if needs be install a data kit if you have requested one to have the modem up to 30 metres away if the master socket is not a place the modem can go eg no power sockets near it.
the only real chance i can see is if a fault is detected by the enginner once your connected up and that's if he / she can be bothered to run tests before they go not all of them do, and even if the 2 metere wire to the master socket is deemed to be the fault they will only replace like for like BTO are cheap   
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: New fibre install

2m of bell wire might make a difference, but probably only if it runs near a power supply. It shouldn't be there, and could be worth pointing out... but I'm surprised they'd have managed to get a gel crimp attached. If the route to the master is relatively snag-free, it should be straightforward enough to use the existing wire to pull through a new one - which is what my installer did recently.
As usual, the best thing to watch out for on installation is the error rate, provided you get an installer willing to test, and show off his JDSU.
I'm also surprised at your photos. For a 2006 build, it is strange to find ducting capped with a BT logo that was retired in 1991. And the ducting going underground seems to be making its 90 degree bend straight towards the drain. Strange design...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.