cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install can i choose where master socket goes?

teabag31
Dabbler

New fibre install can i choose where master socket goes?

Hi Smiley
I'm having Plusnet fibre installed Monday. My master socket is in the hallway which has never been used as no electrical power socket there. We've always used the BT extension socket in the living room so it would be impossible to have the Openreach modem and Plusnet router by the master socket so will the engineer use the one in the living room? Can he make this into a master socket? And what will be involved to make it into a master socket, if anything at all?
23 REPLIES 23
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New fibre install can i choose where master socket goes?

The engineer can move the master socket or fit a data extension socket of up to 30 meters away from the master socket.
The hub and modem would be placed where you chose your extension data socket to be. 
Have you checked the box for 'data extension kit' when ordering?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
teabag31
Dabbler

I didn't see a check box about the extension kit so no. When we had ADSL we just had the router plugged in the living room BT socket. I've only just realised it will have to be plugged in the master socket and with no power by it, can they not just make the socket in the living room the master? This is the only other socket we have in the house. If they don't make it into a master socket how can it be installed?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

What I would suggest you do is contact Plusnet and ask for a 'Fibre Extension Kit' to be added to the order.  This is free and the engineer can fit a data socket anywhere of up to 30m from the master socket.  Cable can be run internally and externally.
Please note that the fibre extension kit only carries the fibre connection and not telephone.  So wherever your phone is plugged in, it will have to stay there or move to a different socket if desired, but not the new fibre extension socket - as it has different connectors and will not fit.
My master is located in master bedroom next to desk (this is the original master) however this is a new build home.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
teabag31
Dabbler

Cheers for your help on phone now listening to the music Roll_eyes i just thought it would not be a problem to convert the one in living room.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It depends on the wiring and how it's set up in your home.  It's not as simple as selecting a socket to convert to the master.
If you have 'star wiring' where the phone line enters the home and goes into a junction box and sockets run from there (there is no master) engineers hate this as they have to place a new master socket where the junction box is.
Typical wiring - this is where the phone line enters the home and the first socket is a master (has a line nearly half way through it) extensions are run off from the master.  If you have 1 extension socket. The extension socket can be turned into a master - but then the original master will no longer function and if there are other extensions that run from the old master, these will die and will have to somehow connect to the new master.
It's very complicated if you have more than 1 extension socket.  So the fibre extension is ideal Smiley
NE
teabag31
Dabbler

I think they were all up the pub as it was a 55 min phone call before i got through and was told it was just an ethernet cable extension! Until i read to him the jargon on their website the bit where it says if the master socket is not in a handy place i.e no power source, the engineer can fit a data extension cable.  Was told I would have to cancel the order and re-order if I wanted the extension kit added or take a gamble and hope whoever turns up will do it and has the kit.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hmm how strange!
I had a fibre extension kit at the old house and it was a RJ11 cable from back of master socket along the skirting boards to desired location and a new socket where I would plug the modem cable into.
Call up tomorrow and hopefully get through to someone more helpful.  The guys on here are really helpful and should be able to help you.
NE
WWWombat
Grafter

There is a way to wire the extension as a master, and turns the original master back into an extension. It only works if there are 2 or more pairs in the cable between the two, but doesn't need this cable to be cat 5.
I'm not sure of the official name, but I think of it as back-wiring an extension.
Basically, the wiring works like this....
The incoming line pair arrives at the original master, and is crimped to a pair going to the original extension. It isn't attached to the faceplate.
At the original extension, this pair is fitted to the back of a new NTE5, making it the new master.
The second pair is attached to the front faceplate of the new NTE5, carrying the extension signal.
The second pair arrives back at the original master, and attaches to the faceplate there, making it an extension.
Further extensions can be wired onward from this point.
With the master in the new location, the SSFP (service specific faceplate) for fibre can be used to feed the modem.
I've seen it said that this manner of wiring is frowned upon ... but there seem to be a fair few Openreach engineers willing to use it.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
teabag31
Dabbler

Wombat would using the extension socket give much of a speed drop do you think , this must be a very common problem the master socket in a place with no power outlets and the house is only 11 years old, i may have to get some power put there and it should be a 5 min job as fuse box is behind that wall in downstairs toilet.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Using an extension will likely to affect your speed depending on how the wiring is laid out.
I would highly suggest going for the fibre extension kit as there won't be mucking about with other extensions you may have and the fibre extension kit won't degrade your speed.
NE
WWWombat
Grafter

I expect it depends on the quality of the extension wiring. Reasonable CW1308 cat 3, twisted, 0.5mm solid core will be ok; losses are likely to be from just the extra length. As NE says, the layout is important - it needs to be a linear (daisy chain) on the path between incoming pair and the filtered point that the VDSL is split out.
At our old house, the original ADSL was wired in this way (engineer install in 2000), except it was crimped through 2 intermediate sockets, rather than just one. I checked for a while, but couldn't get any better stats from the initial entry point.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
teabag31
Dabbler

Cheers guys i think im going to put in a double socket by the master socket its an easy job i can do myself, i don't really want the modem and router in my hall as i like to have ethernet connected to my laptop in living room but i have some powerlines i could use, if the engineer comes Monday morning and says he can put it in living room it would still be better as all devices are in living room ie sky box , lg smart tv, laptop and want all to use ethernet rather than wifi.
Another question is i have a bt home hub 4 would that perform better than the provided Plusnet router and would i have to wait until after the install to start using the homehub 4.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

If you are desperate for the hub/router and modem to be somewhere else, then the engineer can fit a data extension socket A.K.A Fibre Extension.  This job will be neat and will carry the best speeds possible on your line.
I have one fitted downstairs but nothing is connected - I've tried it and works the same as the master socket but no voice.
You can use the hub 4 - see my guide here
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
However it's for the hub 3 and 2 - it applies to the latest home hubs as well.
I'm using a BT hub 5 on my servie - when it goes live on Thursday
NE
teabag31
Dabbler

Well ive now got some power sockets at least next to the master socket as put a double in today so at least i can have it installed if the engineer says he doesnt have an extension kit on his van. Smiley
I was thinking of using the supplied modem and plusnet router at first and maybe moving onto the hub 4 later on but its tempting to use the hub 4 right away as its an all in one less clutter.