cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install and star wiring.

theoule
Grafter

New fibre install and star wiring.

Just had fibre installed last Wednesday, and speed is only slightly higher than the old adsl.
I haven't done any formal tests yet, as it is less than 10 days since install.
Just reading through this forum I came across a reference to star wiring, which we have here.
"These wires will present an impedance mismatch, which cause ADSL signals/tones to be reflected or echoed. This causes attenuation distortion of the original signal and leads to increased errors which can prevent synchronisation of the DSL Service. The Bridge Tap result will detect this"
The install was done by an openreach installer.  I mentioned that our wiring was old, and our incoming line was split outside, before coming into the house, one half going upstairs, and the other downstairs, where the old bt face plate was.  He'd never heard of such a thing, but he called his supervisor, who said it was star wiring, and would be OK. He did the install and said the speed would be about 20meg.
So that was last Wednesday, and my speed is now about 5mb.  PlusNet says my Current line speed:40 Mb 
Can anything be done before the 10 days is up?
8 REPLIES 8
dnpark38
Rising Star

Re: New fibre install and star wiring.

Just joined Plusnet fibre and it took 36 hours to drop from top speed to about 10/15% less..
With previous provider had 3 start ups and that was Sync just under 38Mb and after 36 hours DLM made it just above estimate.
Can't give the Plusnet Sync.as Openreach + Plusnet router do not give the figures.
I would suggest your line Provider gets Openreach to replace that damaged drop wire.
Regarding your starting at a low figure I suggest you take advise from Plusnet Support or others here to see if you should disconnected and restart.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

When I had fibre installed the installer fitted a new mark three faceplate. This connects to just one extension which we asked for the office upstairs.
This means that if we connect to the test socket by removing the faceplate the extension is automatically disconnected. This allows for testing without any wiring connected which might have caused interference. We did have two other old spurs disconnected
As far as I am aware this is a correct installation for fibre and yours should be similar.
Yours seems defective and should be corrected by openreach.  Smiley
/edit there is no 10 training period with fibre
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
sjptd
Grafter

I mentioned that our wiring was old, and our incoming line was split outside, before coming into the house, one half going upstairs, and the other downstairs, where the old bt face plate was.  He'd never heard of such a thing, but he called his supervisor, who said it was star wiring, and would be OK.   I find that very odd.  A few years ago it could have been a justifiable mistake as people did not too know much about the issues of star wiring and VDSL/FTTC.  Star wiring does not matter too much on ADSL.
Are you sure it was a real openreach installer, not a contractor from Quinn's, Kelly's or similar?
Openreach should fix it.  In the meanwhile, if you have spare old filters fit them to any phones connected via the rouge spur.  That won't fix things, but should make them less severe.  You should have had such filters on your old ADSL setup anyway.
theoule
Grafter

I asked the installer if he could disconnect the external extension wire, and he said he couldn't do it because there is a flat roof below the junction box. He was not allowed to go on flat roofs.
I asked if he could reposition  the wire from the pole, away from the flat roof, he said he only fitted the new faceplates and didn't do anything else.
I'd ordered an extension kit, I thought he might be able to move things over, but apparently not.
theoule
Grafter

The guy was in an openreach van.
He said we wouldn't need filters anymore, even on the extension which comes directly to the upstairs, and not through the new faceplate.
The extension phone works fine without a filter, would using one make a difference?
theoule
Grafter

I've just done the BT wholesale performance test.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.98 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  4.78 Mbps-5.98 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 5.98 Mbps
This is a new account with plusnet, I've just migrated from BT adsl, would that make a difference?
Is there a way I could remove the outside extensions myself?  Or should I just get someone in.  Any idea what openreach will charge to rewire?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@theooule a member of the CRT should pick this up but IMHO the fibre installation has not been undertaken correctly and Opeanreach should return FOC and put it right. In fact you could have a claim for them waisting your time with repeat visits.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our testing unsurprisingly is detecting a bridge tap which is pretty much the exact same as star wiring.
If you can let me know when your available this week I'll get a engineer out to sort that out.
The timeslots are the same as per the install so there's 8am while 1pm and 1pm while 6pm .
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team