cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install (18/12/14)

helidan
Grafter

New fibre install (18/12/14)

Got an install date for fibre but was wondering exactly what the engineer does when he/she visits?  Anything I can do to make their job quicker/easier?  Going to be using the supplied BT fibre modem connected to my DGND3700v2, don't want to stop using this particular router as I find it very good.
5 REPLIES 5
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: New fibre install (18/12/14)

The simplest install for an engineer is when your master socket is already an NTE-5, there will be no extensions, and the modem will be sited nearby (and has power). The router doesn't need to be sited quite so close, but it does need a direct ethernet cabled connection to the modem (carrying PPPoE), and obviously needs power.
It gets more complicated if you need to move the master socket, or have a separate data connection from the master socket to the place where the modem will be located; in these cases, some pre-wiring (or at least pre-drilling) might help.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
helidan
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Smiley
Just one more question, do I just need a bog standard Ethernet cable to go between the BT fibre modem and the cable/fibre port on my DGND3700?
Cheers!
sjptd
Grafter

do I just need a bog standard Ethernet cable to go between the BT fibre modem and the cable/fibre port on my DGND3700?  Yes
helidan
Grafter

Thank you!
hopefully will get a nice speed boost soon!!
ArthurDent
Grafter

There are so many installation horror stories published here - arguably unrepresentative? If it is of any comfort  . . .
We were having all sorts of frustrations with our pedal-driven broadband and somewhat hesitantly decided to upgrade to fibre.
1. The openreach guy arrived on schedule.
2. Our master socket had always been in an impossible place so without any hassle he installed a length of the appropriate cabling up and over a doorway to the socket we actually use (one of my concerns).
3. He set up the whole link, possibly going beyond the call of duty. I didn't need to do anything other than test it. Less than an hour in all.
4. That was a month ago. May be unwise to say this, but it's worked well ever since.
5. The difference is remarkable - far greater than expected.
Best wishes!.
P.S.  He/she has probably been fiddling about in a cold, wet cabinet. So perhaps the best preparation for you to undertake is to make sure you have adequate tea/coffee/choccy biccies.