New fibre instal not yet recoverd from 10 days outage due to line faults

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New fibre instal not yet recoverd from 10 days outage due to line faults

Morning all,
There was a long delay on my converting to fibre, See
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133252.0.html
I had the modem installed on 12/11 and the router arrived on 13/11. By the end of 14/11 my landline and fibre service was gone. Several neighbours had outages of 2 -6 days.
My service started again with a lot of noise late on Tuesday 25/11/14. By Friday the noise had reduced to a slight mains hum. Yesterday morning I was able to switch off all electrical power, remove all extension phones and use a basic phone on the test part of the BT master socket. There was the same hum.
I tried it using the same phone on my next door neighbours master socket (not the test part) and with their power on.Their line was almost silent with a very slight hum - less than half of mine.
The Internet speed has been roughly at a speed of about 4Mbps, checked by wireless since Thursday 27/11/14.
I have had less than two days of fibre speed since the modem was installed on 12/11 and the router arrived on 13/11/14!
I added the above to my ticket 94687654. I have check wired yesterday and  attached the results to the ticket.
I have since thought the difference in the hum might be due to my having more extensions than he has - none had filters or phones attached when I tested.
I used a program to actually measure the noise a few years ago can anyone remind me what it was and if it works with a FTTC line?
I tried to submit this a while ago with a picture of yesterdays BT Speedtest but it timed out as too slow. Wireless check now shows Download 0.43 Mbps and Upload 0.37Mbps Ping Latency (ms)149.85.
Yesterday the wired test had download of 3.04 Mbps upload 0.66. This will have been slowed since by my switching off power circuits three times whilst seeing if I could trace the cause of the hum.
Will the speed increase over the next week or so, recovering from the 10 days or so with no service at all or so noisy to make the phone almost unusable and the internet was even worse!? 
If not can someone give the ticket a nudge to reset it?

Thanks in advance
Wuz
4 REPLIES 4
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: New fibre instal not yet recoverd from 10 days outage due to line faults

Quote from: Wuz
I used a program to actually measure the noise a few years ago can anyone remind me what it was and if it works with a FTTC line?

If you are willing to flash the modem with an open version of firmware, you can get access to the modem's line statistics; there are then programs available to take these statistics and create graphs from them, but aren't likely to be the same one you used for ADSL
Two useful aids for you would be the QLN (quiet line noise) graph and the Hlog graph (anything other than a smooth curve can indicate bridge taps), but the standard SNR and bitloading graphs are available too.
Check the forum here for more details.
My service started again with a lot of noise late on Tuesday 25/11/14. By Friday the noise had reduced to a slight mains hum. Yesterday morning I was able to switch off all electrical power, remove all extension phones and use a basic phone on the test part of the BT master socket. There was the same hum.

You probably should be pursuing this as a phone fault, rather than a broadband one. Who supplies the phone service?
Will the speed increase over the next week or so, recovering from the 10 days or so with no service at all or so noisy to make the phone almost unusable and the internet was even worse!? 

If there is still audible noise on the line, then it is unlikely to recover until that is fixed.
If the fault is fixed, or has no impact at broadband frequencies, then DLM would normally relent, and allow speeds to recover - anywhere between a day and a month.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Wuz
Rising Star

WWWombat,
Thanks for the link. I will keep this in mind although things seem to be improving.
Plusnet provide the phone service. I was on the phone to them on the 25/11 from a phone box when a neighbour across the road was told by an Openreach that his next call was my house!! I Must have missed him by less than half an hour, but got workable phone service 12 hours later and the noise dropped over a couple of days to the current mains hum.
As it seems to have speeded up a bit so may go up into the loft and do another wired BT test this afternoon. I hope I will be able to post the results here!
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

I have done a couple of wired speed tests and download is just over 4Mbps.
However my neighbour has now tested his and his is just over 5.
He said his other neighbour (2doors from me) is still without any phone or internet service!
I have added all the details to the ticket. There is obviously still something not right about the lines to the cabinet!
I will keep you posted!
Regards,
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

It's 4 weeks today that my neighbour came in and said their BT landline and fibre was down and used my phone to ring BT and divert calls to me. By the end of the day my line was down and over the next week found out other neighbours had either very noisy lines or no service.
I believe all the phones are working but the fibre download has dropped from 20Mbps to about 3 - 5Mbps. Mine yesterday was Download4.56, Upload 1.93 and Ping 31.25ms. It seems slower today.
Last Saturday Openreach came, and a contractor emptied an inspection pit  of mud and water. At 12;45 I was called by the engineer to ask was I in on Sunday morning. He said he needed an other engineer to help him. As the pit has caused problems before with corroded aluminium and is always full of water, I guessed they might need to replace corroded lines.
Sunday and nobody turned up.
Plusnet rang on Wednesday and arranged a visit yesterday afternoon. No show.
This morning there was two vans. I asked them if they were doing my line. They said no, they were there to empty the pit of water.  I said it was cleaned last Saturday. They said it was full of water again.
As it has been full of water for years now It's like bailing out a bath with the tap running.
Could someone have a look at ticket 94687657 and try and bail me out!! It might be an idea if they got rid of the aluminium lines rather than trying to dry out the pit!
Wuz