Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre extra install, very slow speeds

daz66
Dabbler

New fibre extra install, very slow speeds

Hello, 

I recently got my plusnet extra fibre install done just over 48hrs ago and my download and upload speeds are abysmal, download is around 10mbps and upload is around 4mbps, yet in the plusnet portal it quotes 77.4mbps (done on the BT wholesale speed test, they are 10.9 and 2.5 on speedtest.net). I know openreach had brought in their new low line calibration earlier this year, but after waiting 48hrs for DLM to kick in, there has been no speed increase. On the phone plusnet said about the '10 day period' which is false too. (also find attaches screenshots from the BT wholesale speed test and my plusnet line speed all were done wired over a cat 6 cable.)

The equipment i'm using is my ECI modem which I had used on BT FTTC 2 years ago on their 50mbps package and got the full line speeds and now the Plusnet Hub One router. So I am at least expecting that or the lowest given by the BT availability checker which is 63.9mbps. 

If I could have any help to what this issue could be that'll be great. Thanks in advance!

40 REPLIES 40
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New fibre extra install, very slow speeds

@daz66

Welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify one point from your message:

Have you plugged the Plusnet Hub One into the ECI modem which is then connected to the phone socket?

If so, then you need to take the ECI out as the Hub One is a combined modem/router so should be connected to the phone socket. No extra kit is needed.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PhantomR
Grafter

@daz66  Straight away i can see your issue from your Bt Wholesale Image that you posted is down to your IP LINE PROFILE as you mentioned your supposed to be on the up to 80mbps package this is set at 11.35mb when it should be around the 69mb -77mb that you showed on the secondary image.

What you need to do is ring Tech Support and if you have patience with the current long hold times at present explain to them that your IP LINE PROFILE is Set Too Low and is pretending its an ADSL Connection & Not a Fibre Connection !!! Once they do a Line Profile Reset Tell Them To Start The DLM process again then on your account,From There End After This Is Done if you restart your ECI MODEM or Preferably the Plusnet Hub One Router it should in effect allow the Connection Sync To Find A Correct speed for your line maybe lower than you expected due to the DLM Line Stabilization but it should be higher than your currently getting.

Your Upload Speed IP Profile does however look correct but once this is corrected this should go up also higher than the 4.1mbps on the image.

Im Conjuring a Mystical Spell As I End This Message to see if the wise wizards @Gandalf & @Dumbledore Have the Spell To Correct This Sooner However.

Kind Regards 

PhantomR

daz66
Dabbler

Yes I have, it goes filtered socket to ECI modem to Hub one, this is going to be a temp setup as I will be replacing the router with a ASUS RT-AC66U in a few days. 

daz66
Dabbler

Thanks for your help, I did notice that the IP profile was off and did contact plusnet about it, but they just kept coming back with the '10 day period' and said I will have to wait till after the ten days to get the issue fixed...

So I hope that one of the team on here will be able to help!

Thanks for your help!

PhantomR
Grafter

@daz66 Noooo Dont Do That Setup !!! It will cause you hassle 

Use either the ECI Modem/Router with your Plusnet details in to connect to the service or Just Use The PlusNet Hub One Only !!! don't Daisy Chain Them Together like that as they can and will cause IP CONFLICTS with the Router Address Provisioning.

The Plusnet Hub One Has it's own ADSL 2+/Fibre Modem Built into the Router to connect Directly To Your Master Socket Line !!! 

This is the best way to connect to your service !!! However If You Insist On Using The ECI Modem/Router Then DONT Use The Plusnet Hub One !!!

Dont Link Them Both Together For This Reason !! I've Been There & Done That Before But Had Different IP Address Ranges for Both Routers So They Didnt Conflict For Testing Purposes Between Providers and it causes Headaches Trust Me.

Kind Regards

PhantomR

daz66
Dabbler

The Hub one is just a rebadged  BT HH5, which we used before using the regular rj45 broadband connection it was fine. Like I said in the previous post the hub one is only temp but using the non modem port it should have no problem, and the issue is more likely the IP profile that was mentioned by the other user.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@daz66 There is no 10 day period with fibre. What you see is what you get. DLM will adjust the line speed as required. It might go up, it might go down but it doesn't help if your line profile is incorrect. What do you see on this page ? That will be your line speed as per Plusnet (altered as needed by DLM). But this is assuming you don't have line problems or as suggested, maybe too many modems in the mix. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daz66
Dabbler

I'll give just the hub one a go by itself and see what happens. Also for that line speed check the 2nd image (I think in my original post)

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Yes, sorry, missed that one. If that is showing 77Mb then you should be up somewhere around it. You could always raise a ticket to get the line tested. I'd get shot of one modem though and then see what happens. If any line fault clears I've found DLM will start to work but that is assuming its put you low in the first place..

The only time I've sunk that low (I'm usually around 70mb) is on a line fault. Took OR nigh on a week to sort - problems in the cabinet.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daz66
Dabbler

On the hub one by itself and its exactly the same, I'm afraid to say. The IP profile did go up slightly, by 1mbps, BT wholesale pic attached 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The IP profile will take some time to go back up, asDLM will have reduced it due to whatever issue you have.

On The Hub One, if you go to the Advanced/Troubleshooting/Helpdesk page, you will see the sync speed, and max attainable speeds - can you post those?

If they are close to the speeds you are expecting, they the IP Profile should go up - if not there is another issue to identify and correct.

daz66
Dabbler

Yep, here it is. Also just to say my IP profile jumped up slightly this morning when I power cycled the openreach modem too.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That does not look good! How is your phone line? Dial 17070 option 2 - is the line quiet?

Are you plugged into the Master Socket? Does it have a VDS: filter? Have you tried the hidden test socket?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@daz66

the line and signal attenuation look way out for a line which has in the past been running at full speed.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT