cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre customer speed stats, slower that suggested?

colinpurves
Dabbler

New fibre customer speed stats, slower that suggested?

Hello,

I'm the first person in our area to be switched over to FTTC. Can you look at these stats and tell me if they are correct for my situation? My cabinet is a 10 minute walk up the same road as us - so not too far really.

We get 21mb download / 2mb upload. The Maximum data rate suggests it would be greater than 21mb download speed, reading below.

Would interleaving chop off that much speed? My data transfer page under MyPlusnet shows a different exchange to ours and tel number, but I understand these are test numbers from Plusnet and don't affect speed profiles? It says we are on the BENTON exchange - miles away from us!

5. DSL uptime: 3 days, 23:29:56
6. Data rate: 2306 / 21618
7. Maximum data rate: 2294 / 25365
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 42.0 / 32.4
10. Signal attenuation: 40.5 / 27.5
Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New fibre customer speed stats, slower that suggested?

I'm just looking into this for you.

[edit]

From what I can see you're connected to cabinet number 3 and the estimated distance from that cabinet is 1571.2 metres hence the poor speeds.

Is that the number of the cabinet near you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@colinpurves

The Benton exchange and number have no bearing on your actual speeds, it just looks funny when you first see it.

What does the BTW speedtest Further Diagnostics say about your BT IP Profile?

Just enter your real phone number and click "Run Diagnostics Test" at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
colinpurves
Dabbler

Thank you for looking into this. Interestingly I am around 20mb as if I'm stuck on ADSL? Could that explain the large discrepancy between max achievable data rate (listed in my previous post) and the actual? Max achievable says I should be nearer 25mb?

Results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 19.81 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 14.65 Mbps-20.93 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 20.93 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.23Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

5. DSL uptime: 3 days, 23:29:56
6. Data rate: 2306 / 21618
7. Maximum data rate: 2294 / 25365
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 42.0 / 32.4
10. Signal attenuation: 40.5 / 27.5
colinpurves
Dabbler

No response to my thread yesterday. Any help today?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: No response to my thread yesterday. Any help today?

Moderators Note

Topics merged.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As I mentioned in my reply above can you check the number of the cabinet near you?

I suspect you're connected to a different one.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
colinpurves
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for responding again today.

In answer to your question, to the best of my knowledge, we are on cabinet 3. Which is also according to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm 

1) Can you address the question about the large difference between the Max achievable data rates and the actual sync? There's a few mb lost, not just a small overhead for interleaving. My connection is rock solid stable at 6 SNR. I'm not clear on why I should be stuck at 20mb - the ADSL 2+ max, when max achievable says I should near 25mb?

2) Looking at the cabinet map for the area, they are all next to each other in a group on the high street and really I think BT should put in another one for our side of town. Would I need to approach BT personally about this? Council?

Really appreciate your help! 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've attached your line stats from what we can see below.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 21.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1571.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2016-05-30T12:00:00

With regards to getting another cabinet in place it depends if the roll out of fibre was done by BT commercially or by a BDUK scheme.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
colinpurves
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

That information is very interesting to see.

Why am I not near the max data rate reported by the router of 25365 for my download speed? 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

When interleaving is in use, the max attainable speed can be calculated using different parameters than what the line will actually be using. This often results in the max attainable calculated speed being much higher than the actual speed achieved.

colinpurves
Dabbler

I understood the concept of interleaving ok, but I wasn't familiar with the amount it reduced the speed by specifically to fiber.

So a reduction of 4mb is not unusual from 25mb to 21mb with interleaving turned on?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It's not usual, it's not really that the interleaving reduces the speed though. It's more like the max attainable rate figure is being calculated based on different a level of interleaving than what your line will actually be using. So essentially, the max attainable figure is unrealistic when interleaving is on.

colinpurves
Dabbler

Thanks for explaining this all to me. I had a look online and couldnt find out much about the levels of interleaving etc regarding fibre. Also the background to max attainable sync figure is very useful.

As my line is so solid (5 days so far without losing sync), I would like to switch over to interleaving off, particularly as ping times are important to me. I understand this could introduce some instability to the line, but I would like the benefits of a bit more speed and ping. Can you place this order for me?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Unfortunately, Plusnet and all other ISPs have no control over interleaving with the DLM on FTTC. ISPs get to choose a profile from Speed, Standard or Stable, but I think Plusnet already use Speed.