cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre contract - do I need to be at home on the changeover day?

FIXED
mee22

New fibre contract - do I need to be at home on the changeover day?

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but will the engineer need to visit my house when I upgrade to fibre? I've got an older style master socket right now (pic showing similar style attached.)

I've currently got adsl2 with another ISP, and it's a decent enough connection, but I wasn't sure if the socket needed to be upgraded for fibre. I've seen white BT boxes attached to people's walls and wondered if I'd need that too.

Just curious, as I'd need to sort out time off work if the engineer will need access. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: New fibre contract - do I need to be at home on the changeover day?

Unlikely. BT stopped engineer installs earlier this year and no longer supply a modem. The process is now the same as for ADSL. A dedicated faceplate is often better than micro filtering everything in the house but it should just be a matter of replacing your modem/router with a VDSL capable version.

Plusnet can supply a combined modem/router if you want (£7 p&p I believe) or you can source your own.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Hello @mee22 and welcome to the community forums

For fibre installations we have a self install process where an engineer would just complete the work at the cabinet and you can setup your router yourself (ideally at your master phone socket).

However, if a new line installation (NLI) appointment is arranged as a simultaneous provide with the fibre order then this would require an appointment. Generally if an NLI is required there would be a one off £49.99 charge. [Edit] You'll however be made aware of this at the sign up process.

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mee22

Thanks to both of you for taking time to respond.

I believe now that it's just a self-install I'll have (I've already received a new router) and no access will be required. I'd heard conflicting statements from friends/colleagues with some saying an engineer had to go into their house and others saying no visit was necessary, so was unsure. Knowing that BT have stopped engineer visits probably explains it.

Thank you again! Looking forward to my shiny new fibre connection! Grin