cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre connection

scargill
Grafter

New fibre connection

Tonight we were to get our new fibre broadband (we already have adsl).  I've just received an email to say this is ready - and that no engineer will call.
But.. I've always thought that Fibre would entail disconnecting the ADSL and filters and connecting via an RJ45 to a new connection - we don't have a new connection box, just the original ADSL - and if an engineer is NOT to call that won't change. The old broadband is still running. How can this be? THe Plus One router we have received has a normal ADSL filter - not an RJ45 connector. The router itself has both adsl inputs and WAN input - but there is no way to connect the latter to anything?
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: New fibre connection

FTTC will work with the existing wiring and filter set-up as ADSL, although it might not give the optimum speed, but then that's also true for ADSL.
The Openreach filter faceplate that an engineer would fit to your master socket does have an RJ45 socket, but it only uses two pins, and also accepts an RJ11 plug. The main benefit of the filtered faceplate is that it filters off all the extension wiring at the master socket, which can help you get the best speed, that also applies for ADSL.
What kind of master socket do you have? How many other sockets do you have? If you have the NTE5 as shown here, then you could fit a filtered faceplate yourself.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As we've now moved to self-install in general this means no engineer will call. Your Hub One just needs connecting through a filter as per the guide here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-setup.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sherbrooke-pn
Dabbler

I was informed similar today (self install) for "Unlimited Business Fibre Broadband"
1) Since we'll be using the same wiring with filters, can this now be plugged into an extension?
2) In an identical (Plusnet A/C) FTTC install I have a Vigor 2820 (WAN 2 port/PPPoE connection) plugged into the Openreach box - will the box provided by Plusnet allow the same setup or will I need a proper VDSL modem/router to replace the Plusnet "Hub One"?
[Edit] I think the Hub One setup video has answered 1) - Yes a extension could be used but Plusnet recommend connection via the Master socket for the fastest speed.