Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre cable?

FIXED
Gunnill
Grafter

New fibre cable?

Hello:

I live in the country and broadened speeds have been " OK". However Open Reach men have installed a new fibre cable which will provide better more stable Internet. This should up and running in December this year.  

Question: Will I get this new service automatically on PlusNet or have to apply for it?  I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra at the moment.

Thx

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New fibre cable?

@Gunnill 

You most certainly won’t get it automatically. It is a much faster and more expensive service. There are rumours that Plusnet intend offering FTTP in the future but at the moment you would have to leave Plusnet and join an ISP that offers this service, such as BT.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gunnill
Grafter

Thank you yes, FTTP was mentioned. I am grateful

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for your post @Gunnill 

We don't yet offer a FTTP service as @Baldrick1's said but with any luck we may be offering this by the end of the year. Smiley

(Not something I can't guarantee though, to set expectations)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Gunnill 

As has been mentioned, PlusNet don't currently offer a FTTP service though it seems highly likely they'll be offering one in the autumn. It's rumoured a new Hub will also be offered at this time. This will likely be a rebadged  BT SmartHub One or Two.

This time scale would suit your likely availability date. If PlusNet are delayed then you'd need to consider moving ISP if higher more stable speeds are required sooner rather than later. In this case you could incur a termination fee if still in contract.

You could check here to see if your line is on the "Official" list for upgrading. https://www.openreach.com/

For it to be available to order it needs to show up in the ADSL Checker. In the left hand column would be WBC FTTP and further down in the narrative there would be a sentence or two about your property,

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian 

Gunnill
Grafter

Thank you Gandalf:

I don't know what a FTTP service is, but I am told it is a better product. I assume that PlusNet will make it known when it is available. Locally BT have said November/December.

Thx

Gunnill
Grafter

Thx Brian

Grateful for your reply. 

Mike

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Gunnill 

With FTTC the fibre optic cable is run to the cabinet and then uses the existing copper line to reach your house. Speeds are limited by the distance of the copper run.

With FTTP the fibre is run all the way to your house. The pole which serves your property will have a Distribution Point attached for the fibre. When a service is ordered the line to your property will be replaced with a hybrid copper/fibre cable (I believe). A Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is installed inside. Your router connects to this via an Ethernet cable which gives more leeway in where it's sited.

PlusNet will not tell you FTTP is available - it's up to you to keep an eye out. I believe you can register on OpenReach to get  a notification when it goes live.

Not certain what ONT will be installed - see the following two news articles.

www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.h...

www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/a-look-at-openreachs-future-4-port-ont-for-fttp-broadband.html

Brian

Gunnill
Grafter

Thank you. Grateful