Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre cabinet woes

dfects
Grafter

New fibre cabinet woes

Hiya,

In Telford, there is a scheme to roll out Fibre internet with BT across the region. We've been planned for phase 1 which is due to complete. I've been checking the BT adsl checker and today I noticed VDSL multicast had appeared on the results.

home results.png

So I did a check on the openreach when and where page and it now says:

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options. If you'd like us to let you know if fibre becomes available, register your details."

Our cabinet is a bit weird, and I can only find houses on our little estate on it and a small industrial estate near by. Using a business phone number from the estate, it seems they have fibre enabled now Sad 

business results.png

The thing is, we're not that much further away. As a crow flies, its 0.5KM to our house from the cabinet. Surely there isn't close to 3KM of cabling between us Sad

House and cabinet:

house.png

Business and cabinet:

business.png

Even plotting a route which follows roads between our house, the business and the cabinet is less than 1KM, surely within the range of fibre!?

Could it just be that its too soon for it to be available to residential addresses? Or am I stuck on 6mb internet forever here Sad

6 REPLIES 6
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: New fibre cabinet woes

Phone Cabling never goes as the crow flies so you cant use that as a reference it's not uncommon for it to be double than that, so yeah 3km could be a possibility especially if your area had their cabling laid in the 60's for example.

dfects
Grafter

Surely if its that far though, on my current adsl wouldn't it be less than 6mb (currently getting roughly 6.5mb)? The direct route between us and the exchange is about 1.8km. Its a right pain, as the older houses around our new 27 house estate are on another cabinet (3) which is actually a little further away as the crow flies. Estimates say their speeds are over 40mbps nearest us.

The houses on our estate are about 4 years old now, surely some extent of new cabling was laid for them.

But yeah I get your point, who knows Sad Its so frustrating, I've been waiting since we moved in for the cabinet to finally be upgraded for fttc and now this. Virgin isn't available, so we're stuck on 6mb by the looks of it.

dfects
Grafter

Sorry to bump this back up, but is it possible for anyone from plus net to look into more information, like if there are any plans for rerouting our line or if it definitely is due to the line length?

I just found out the estate they're building next to us (that I can see from my kitchen window) are all on cabinet 3 with 40mb+ fibre just like the older estates surrounding us Sad Why they decided to put us on another cab is beyond me as every house between us and our cab is on 3 not 26.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From what I can see you're about 1.9 to 2km away from the cabinet which is why it isn't showing as available.

If the speed estimate is very low it won't show on the BT DSL checker.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dfects
Grafter

Is that cable/line length @MatthewWheeler ? As on a map as the crow flies its 0.5km. Via the shortest road route its 0.7km

As the crow flies to the exchange, not cabinet its 1.9-2km.

Pretty sure my cabinet is on Furnace road/Stafford Street, it even used to have 26 painted on it (its since been replaced with a new cabinet). It was also confirmed by openreach 3-4 years ago "JCN CHURCH RD & STAFFORD ST ST GEORGES".

Edit: Just to add, google street view still has the old cabinet. As you can see its right at the bottom of furnace road where it joins Church Road. Its definitely not 2km away unless its line length which I didn't think you could check remotely?

Screenshot_20160801-151628.png

dfects
Grafter

Could someone please take another look at this? I'm pretty sure my cab is at the bottom of furnace road (turns into stafford road) where it joins church road as I pictured above. I don't see how that can be 2km away from priory way where our house is (although I understand the line could be, even though it would be 4 times the actual distance).

There are photos of the distance in the op.