Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New customer

Hi

Just a thought re internal wiring, my office is about 4m from the faceplate, and I wired in four years ago, adsl cable, no problems, 0.5dB increase in attention.

Went onto fttc, nothing, put modem downstairs temporarily, got good speeds.

Purchased a CW1308 RJ11 cable and all is well. Curious though, on the side of the cable its says, amongst other thing re the cable, BSKYB!!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@TurGe

If you have a clean data signal then with time you should see the downstream SNR reduce, if you're lucky to 3dB. With this decrease in SNR will come a speed increase. You just need to be patient, not cause any line interuptions and keep your fingers crossed for a while as the time this takes depends on many factors.

If you need to disconnect to play with internal wiring then log into your router and disconnect from Plusnet first. Then leave the modem/router switched off for at least half an hour so that the DLM knows it is a deliberate disconnection, not a fault on the line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@dws1900 wrote:

Purchased a CW1308 RJ11 cable and all is well. Curious though, on the side of the cable its says, amongst other thing re the cable, BSKYB!!

My guess would be that at some time BSkyB have branded their cable to discourage installers etc from doing illicit jobs or flogging lengths without making it being obvious the source of the cable, I would guess that pilfering cable would be a sacking offence.

Moderator and Customer

TurGe
Grafter

@Baldrick1 Cheers for the info, Ill keep an eye on how it fairs over the next few weeks, it seems to be solid around the 60 to 64 meg on OOKLA tests at the moment which now picks it up as a BT line and not a Plusnet one since the reboot (I know BT own them) 

From memory I tested the master socket with my old SKY connection it made little to no difference on the speeds...

Baldrick1

@TurGe wrote:

.... which now picks it up as a BT line and not a Plusnet one since the reboot (I know BT own them) 

If you're wondering why it's because the world is running out of IP addresses and BT have bought in a load, mainly from overseas. Whilst these may be identified as being issued to BT they have been transferred to Plusnet and still connect you to Plusnet's infrastructure, not BT's.

As you're on a dynamic IP address when you reconnected you simply picked up a different IP address.

Moderator and Customer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing that there was a capacity issue last week which is now resolved. That may have been causing the issue

Let us know if the speeds drop again

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TurGe
Grafter

Hi @MatthewWheeler thanks for coming back to me, would this be the fault noticed by one of your colleagues?

The actual speed only got better after the reboot of the router which I do not believe would indicative of a capacity issue..

All good at the moment though so I will keep an eye on it..

Thanks

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @TrrGe , it does look to be the same issue identified yes. Let us know if issues do return as we'll be more than happy to investigate further however we are confident the equipment upgrade at the exchange should help moving forwards.