Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

New customer

Hi all.
Signed up to Plusnet last week, moving from BT fibre to Plusnet fibre.
First issue I encountered was that the Mac code would not be accepted, 1 too many digits apparently, BT insisted it was correct. Spoke to PN tonight who stated that the Mac was OK and had one extra digit because it was a fibre connection???
I think your website/systems should be updated to take account of this.
The main reason I'm posting is that I was told I would need an engineer visit to install and this wouldn't be until 30th Oct. I assumed that because I already have fibre that I would just need a new router from PN and would be able to swap it over with my HH and away we go. The PN rep was insistent that I need an engineer visit.
Can anybody confirm this is correct?
Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: New customer

if you don't have an openreach modem then you'll need one of those as well as the PN router, as PN don't supply a combined modem/router like BT do (assuming you have a bt home hub).
steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

I have a BT modem fixed to the wall (I think it's a modem!) and a HH3 which I'm sure is just a router?
adie:quote
chenks76
All Star

You should be fine then. Just connect the pn router.
No engineer required.
steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

That's what I thought, can't understand why they were so insistent on an engineer visit.
Anyone here from PN care to look into this for me? Do I need to ring and get a router sent through the post?
steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

So I receive a text this morning stating that my broadband will be active on the 22nd Oct.
What about my engineer visit? Do I need to cancel it?
It seems like the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing at Plusnet.
Not a good first impression
chenks76
All Star

there is no engineer visit.
you are having a fibre service migration, not a new fibre install.
steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

Common sense tells us that, but try telling that to the rep I spoke to yesterday, who insisted that an engineer be booked for the 30th despite me explaining that I already have fibre and a BT modem
chenks76
All Star

that's just the system doing that, but the appointment then gets cancelled when it is flagged as a migration.
bazzer9
Grafter

I suspect Plusnet are just being careful. I am also moving from BT Infinity 1 to Plusnet Fibre 1. Supplied MAC code on 4th Oct and due to go live on 17th Oct.
With BT I have BTHomehub5 integrated modem and router but with Plusnet I need Openreach modem to connect to Plusnet supplied router.
My previously supplied router was a BTHomehub3  which also requires a connection to an  Openreach modem.
It would seem that only Openreach engineer can supply their modem which is probably why Plusnet have assumed that you haven't got one
rather than assume that you do have one.
Andy T on this forum helped me out. Suggest you try and contact him.
notdodgy

Same story here - but was migrated a day early.
Working fine using the HomeHub 5 with the new username/password.
I have now have a plusnet router I have no use for, which I paid to have supplied.

steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76
that's just the system doing that, but the appointment then gets cancelled when it is flagged as a migration.
I assume the customer is notified of the cancellation? Hypothetically, I have booked a day off work, can I cancel this now?
steadyeddieuk
Dabbler

By the way, i'm not trying to be pedantic, I just think the way PN are doing things i.e. booking an engineer 'just in case' isnt right
chenks76
All Star

surely booking an engineer "just in case" is preferable to not booking one and then finding out one is needed at a later date and having to wait a week for an appointment?
if it's not required then it's cancelled.
as for your previous reply, hypothetically you haven't booked a day off, so nothing to cancel?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Originally ALL FTTC installations were provided with a BT OR modem, any migrations of these initial installations would be straightforward since the customer would always have the modem and FTTC faceplate.  After BT and others started supplying combined modem/routers it starts to become more complicated and it is no longer safe to assume that migrating customers would already have the BT OR modem (though the BT HH5 will work fine with Plusnet Fibre but the Sky equivalent will not as far as I understand).
Plusnet really need to have a check in place for FTTC migrations to specifically ask customers what existing equipment they already have so that those with a BT OR modem don't need to have an engineer booked but those with an incompatible device (Sky hub?) do get an engineer to supply/install/test the correct modem.
Eventually this will become irrelevant because BT Openreach will stop supplying modems at some point in the future and each IPS will be responsible for supplying all the necessary kit (or ensuring the customer has his own).
Please Plusnet, put some checks in place for FTTC migrations.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.