cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer to Fibre Extra - not getting advertised speed

Web-Dude
Dabbler

Re: New customer to Fibre Extra - not getting advertised speed

If you depend on broadband then having a backup really can prove important.

In 2015, I had a failure for a week on a line with The Post Office (line rental and broadband), then when that was fixed, my Plusnet / Primus line was dead for a week, and then the Post Office one went bad for another week...

If I had only had one line I could not have handled many of the regular customer support type workload, e-mails, and doing optional things like using YouTube, TWiT.tv, etc, etc.  

While I understand you are not keen, how well would you cope if it took a week for Openreach to come to repair some fault not of your making ?   If your work would suffer then you probably still need to consider a backup option.  Is £60 (the mobile suggestion) really too much when it means you can keep in touch with your office even if the PN service (or any landline service) is down, for an extended period. 

(Remember that from time to time, if there is flooding for example, then Openreach announces delays in repairs and installations and PlusNet service status mail may still announce the Openreach/BT  "MBORC messages" ("Matters Beyond Our Reasonable Control" aka "Acts of God!!")

It's obviously your choice, but for myself it would cripple my working situation to lose internet access for 5+ days, and for some things, a pub or fast food place just wouldn't be an option.

thearmydee
Dabbler

I completely understand and agree things like that would throw things off for me for work and for my kids.

In the past I've used my EE mobile plan which has 20GB, that helped me when I had no internet 6 days. I'd probably tether to my mobile as it's something I already pay for and don't use sitting at home.

I appreciate the advice though. Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,603

@thearmydee wrote:
I have responded to the ticket with my concerns/questions in relation to the offer and why my connection drops.

I'm away for the week myself but have access to emails.

Thanks. I'm taking a look now and I'll reply back over there shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet