cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

New customer, terrible speeds 😑

richwright1210
Hooked

New customer, terrible speeds 😑

I've just today been connected to Plus net and I'm not getting speeds above 14mbps. I should be receiving between 35-39mbps. I've reset router to no avail. Speeds will start around the 15mbps mark and gradually decline within an hour to between 7 - 3mbps. I'm doing a speed test on a device that's connected via Ethernet. There's no error lights (to my knowledge) on the hub.... Slowly losing patience with it and it's only day one. I know theres a certain bedding in period with broadband, but I'm not accepting near total loss of speed as a "bedding in process". Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
theopapa32
Hooked

Re: New customer, terrible speeds 😑

Hi there,

I've had various issues before and slowly i've managed to overcome them and now things are okay.

For the first few days, i have noticed i had some inconsistency in speed, but it shouldn't be too dramatic. The reason my internet was terribly slow was mainly due to interference and the hub one's inability to filter through it. It claims that it can do this for you, but it's not brilliant at it, just like it's relative the BT hub 5. What i done was log in to the router and split the 2.4 ghz signal and 5ghz signal. This made a massive difference straight away. I also ran tests to see what wireless channel was best in my house and changed it which also made a difference. But the thing that made the most difference was changing the cheap flat adsl cable for a cat 6 one. This eliminated so much interference. Relying on a cheap little lead to transfer a high amount of broadband is a big no no for some people. Have a look at this guys videos, watching them has helped me a lot and now my speed is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_wBm-fP0MM&t=926s

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you let me know what results you're getting from a speedtest now please?

I have noticed that your upload speed is a lot lower than we'd expect, if you do continue to have issues please report this at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
richwright1210
Hooked

Hi there, I've already split the two wireless speeds, and the speed I'm getting is through an Ethernet cable. So that eliminates those two things. Going to give a new phone cable a go see if that changes anything. Spoke to plus net on the phone, they seem to think there's a definite problem but won't touch it until the 10 day bedding in period is over.... So frustrating as I'm pretty sure there's an issue either from the junction box end or possibly my end.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If its a fibre circuit you don't need to wait 10 days.

Can you log on to your router and let us know the details on the help desk tab - be sure to hide the username/password and other personal info.

Also what are your anticipated speeds on dsl checker?

richwright1210
Hooked

Thanks for replying here's the info.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum and image size reduced.

richwright1210
Hooked

And router help desk screen.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum and image size reduced.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Those could be better, are you testing wired or WiFi?

Also do you have the latest VDSL master socket. and have you tested from the test socket in the master socket? This will help eliminate any internal wiring problems?

richwright1210
Hooked

VDSL master socket, is that the socket with the filter built in to it, with two plug sockets? If so yes I have one of those and I am currently connected via the test socket, as Plus net support had me plugged into that whilst I was on the phone to them.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

And the answer to the first question?

richwright1210
Hooked

Sorry, they were Wi-Fi speeds. I've just redone them via Ethernet but I can't seem to upload the pics on here.