cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - terrible fibre speeds

matthew012345
Dabbler

New customer - terrible fibre speeds

I'm a new PlusNet customer, recently switched away from an ADSL connection with another provider. The line has been active 3 days, and I'm seeing download speeds of only 2 - 5Mbps, but:

* I'm on fibre extra

* My sign-up email said "We estimate your broadband speed should be between 55Mbps and 78Mbps and your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 48Mbps"

* portal.plus.net says current line speed 78Mb

* Hub One line status says 69.55 Mbps

* My ADSL line ran at about 15Mbps

I would complete http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ but it requires Flash Player, which I don't wish to install (it's hardly used now due to security concerns). (But I've run various other speed tests, using a wired connection, with only one computer connected to the Hub One)

I've read various things about allowing a settling in period, but is my line speed really going to magically go up by such a massive factor?

Any help appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New customer - terrible fibre speeds

Are you testing using an Ethernet cable between the router and computer? If not you need to do so to eliminate the possibility that whis is a wifi problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

matthew012345
Dabbler

Thanks, but yes, with an ethernet cable. And on the last occasion, I disabled WiFi on the router and unplugged all other ethernet cables, to be sure it was just a single device.

Interestingly, I ran a test in the middle of the night, and got way better speeds - around 46Mbps. But every speed test during the evening has got very slow speeds, much worse than my previous ADSL2 connection.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1

This could be a local BTInfrastructure congestion or 'hot SVLAN' problem that Plusnet need to get sorted for you. Hopefully a Plusnet staff member will spot this post and pick it up for you. The staffers who do support this forum are both knowledgable and practive as far as possible but are obviously dependant on Openreach doing their bit.

Moderator and Customer

matthew012345
Dabbler

Ok, let's hope so. Thanks very much for your advice.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all, 

@Baldrick1 you're spot on it's a hot SVLAN, the ETA for an upgrade is 13/7/18. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
matthew012345
Dabbler

Many thanks for looking into this.

So, if I'm interpreting that correctly:

• "Hot SVLAN" means there is congestion of the network bandwidth that plusnet customers share from my cabinet/exchange.
  • The upgrade means more capacity for plusnet customers (on my cabinet/exchange), hence less congestion, hence I shouldn't see my speeds crippled during peak times.

Is that correct?

Will the upgrade be sufficient to relieve the congestion, or will I simply see less congestion? I am concerned that this is so far below my "minimum guaranteed access line speed" (and the speed my router is sync'ing at).

Baldrick1

If I understand it correctly it's all consumers on that fibre, not just Plusnet customers. Whether the problem will be completely sorted depends on how much extra capacity is installed. I'm afraid that all you can do if Plusnet can't get you transferred to a less conjested channel is cross your fingers and wait. If it's still slow then raise the fault again. 

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Baldrick1 wrote:

... but are obviously dependant on Openreach doing their bit.

In the case of SVLANS it is BT Wholesale who need to fix the issue.

Sharing: I believe it depends on the exchange - in some Plusnet share SVLANS in others they have their own but all still provided by BTw.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our suppliers have passed this to their complex faults team to see what can be done.

Unfortunately the entire exchange is hot so there isn't a quick fix I'm afraid.

We'll update you when we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
matthew012345
Dabbler

Many thanks for looking into this. But surely the problem can't be with all internet connections from my exchange? I haven't switched phone lines, and I was getting 10-15Mbps with TalkTalk standard broadband (ADSL2+) in the evenings before switching to PlusNET. That suggests to me that the problem is either specific to PlusNET, in which case I'd be better off with a different provider, or the problem is with fibre connections, in which case I'd be better off paying less for a non-fibre connection and getting faster speeds.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The issue is not peculiar to PlusNET, but it is specific to all BT Wholesale Broadband Connect ISPs. Talk Talk and Sky do not use BT WBC services - they have their own.

Your issue is not your side of the exchange, which as you correctly observe has not changed in moving away from Talk Talk, who have their own back hauls.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

matthew012345
Dabbler

Ah, I see, thanks, that's very helpful.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Just to update you further our suppliers have advised the fix is due for the 1st of July.

We'll keep checking for updates in case this gets pushed forward or if we can move you over to a alternative SVLAN.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
matthew012345
Dabbler

Thanks; I really appreciate the update and for you trying to push it forward for me.

(Many thanks also to the advice from Baldrick1 + Townman)

What are my options/rights if the problem is not fixed? I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm not keen on paying fibre extra prices for these speeds for the whole length of the contract.