Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - some comments

FIXED
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

New customer - some comments

Goody day to you all,

I've recently (re)joined Plusnet (have been a customer at different times and locations over many years), as a migrant from Sky (that was because of their ever escalating costs, and what is now poor value service provision, and an unwillingness to maintain existing customer loyalty).

It's been only a few days, but I'm happy to report everything is good here so far, switchover went perfectly well, the router plugged in and worked, and I have good speed - a steady 37meg so far.

I have the new Hub One router, which is pretty darn good in my home, it's giving me a Tx rate of 527Mbps on my iMac Wifi. I'm impressed with that, it's considerably more than I expected.

However, just a couple of comments on things that could have been done better. Firstly, with so many of us using some kind of cloud storage systems, I think the 2Gbps upload speed is a tad mean, especially as it seems it was at one time 10x that speed. As a ratio of the download speed I feel that should just be a bit better than that.

And following on from that, I wasn't aware that the upload speed was so low when I signed up - perhaps there's information overload and I just haven't seen it, but trying to find out what speeds I'm supposed to get (potentially) seems impossible - other than the marketing blurb on the signup pages (there's no mention of upload speeds that I can see).

As it is, it's not that critical to my needs, and the package is definitely good value, but it's possibly something that may have influenced my choice of ISP before signing up. Even now I can only find reference to such information as I search and browse the forums.

Overall though, I'm quite happy so far.

Andy
5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: New customer - some comments

Fix

Unfortunately the upload speed is Hidden in the "LEGAL bit "  at bottom of the page Crazy2

Fibre Broadband

† Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products. Find out why speeds vary.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Ah, thank you, talk about can't see the wood for the trees. That's awful. Even with your pointer I have had to browse a lot of written stuff to find that - there's more than one location for 'legal' information.

It has at least answered the question of 'where', even if it's not made it any better Roll_eyes.

Cheers.

Andy
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi

Welcome back!

Ive not been through the signup journey for a while, so thought id have a look.

When I put in my details and select a package it says "This means you can get an estimated download speed of 22 - 32Mb, and an estimated upload speed of 2Mb" 

that comes up pretty much after entering in my address and selecting fibre, so its not exactly hidden although I also agree 2mb speeds can be frustrating with the amount of cloud services that exist today, e.g. get home with lots of pics on iphone and your upload will get full of pic uploads to icloud and that will give you slow downloads while the link is full uploading. 

No idea when they last changed the journeys so this may be new since you signed up not sure.

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Hmm, Ok, I don't remember seeing that info - I did see an estimated download of 37Mb-37Mb, so perhaps I was distracted by that being rather too precise (and as it turns out so far, quite accurate). Because of contractual limitations, I did put the order in a month ago.

However, rooting around now, it is information that is hard to find - I see references (in discussions) to 40/20 and 40/2 packages etc., but there's nothing like that showing in any of my account details that I can find. Even checking the confirmation messages I got, there's nothing much there either, other than mention of download speeds.

Anyway, all is well otherwise, it's still a lot better than I had with Sky (FWIW I was going to be paying the same a month for standard broadband at 16meg download and 1meg upload).

Andy
Roman

I only signed up the other day so have not changed to Plusnet yet but, I'm sure when it gave me the speeds it said 38-40mbps down and 20mbps up. 

If I had read it was 2mbps upload I'd probably not have signed up for it.