Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer slow connection speeds

FIXED
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

New customer slow connection speeds

My contract started 10th June, and for the past week or so connection speeds have dropped off considerably. In fact, since I made a complaint about something else. Service drops out completely everyday between 12 and 1am.

My download speed is currently less than 1.5mbps. I've included a screen shot of my latest speed test.

Is there anything else that can be done to bring back some speed?

TIA

EDIT: I have already tried restarting and resetting the router, all filters and wires are where they need to be. Phone dial tone is fine most of the time, but changes when service drops out around midnight.

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: New customer slow connection speeds

@cherrydoodles17 Welcome to the forums. For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of  the Help Desk tab would be a start.

John
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

Hi John, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I've attached the screen shots you've asked for. I've run the BTW Performance tester three times and keeps coming back saying the advanced test system is busy. I'll try again in half an hour or so.

jab1
Legend

@cherrydoodles17 Thanks for those two reports. The BT wholesale one (#2) shows a slight problem, although the last test date is a bit old, and the (#3) one is no use  - not your fault, it just doesn't give a figure. I suspect the site must be under maintenance as you are not the only one to report that the additional diagnostics is failing.

Any chance of your Help Desk report as well, please? I'll have a look early tomorrow morning - my brain is getting old and tired now. 😉

John
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

Sorry, completely overlooked that part. I have attached it.

Get some rest, you lean, green, fixin' machine!

Thank you.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

@cherrydoodles17  Your router has the incorrect setup@plusdsl.net username, this can affect your speed, you need to change this to your actual username and password, I am not familiar with the Hub1 but I think you have to disconnect the broadband before changing the details and then re-connect.

cherrydoodles17
Hooked

Thank you!

I'm not up to the promised 44mbps yet, but at least I've hit double digits at 12mbps.

Hopefully this is the only fix needed, so this has solved my problem.

jab1
Legend

Morning @cherrydoodles17 . Now had I seen that before I went to bed, @RealAleMadrid wouldn't have beaten me to it.

Your connection speed is above the 44Mbps, so the low throughput speed is due to your local environment - nothing PN can do about that.

What type of master socket do you have? Can you please do a Quiet Line Test? - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone, and select option 2. After the announcement of your phone number, you should hear total silence, apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise at all and you need to report a PHONE fault.

John
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

It’s a single socket.

I don’t have a corded phone, but I rang the number, selected option 2 and heard no other sounds. After some seconds, the line just said ‘quiet line test’ and then no other sounds, as you said.
jab1
Legend

OK - so no phone line errors then, which is good.

Please can we have another Help Desk picture, please?

And another 'Advanced Diagnostics' BT report - if you can get it to run?

John
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

Huzzah! BT Performance Test is working today!

Here's everything you asked for. But apparently there is something sus on the line Sad

jab1
Legend

@cherrydoodles17 Your Help Desk report says you are getting up and down connection speeds to your router within the profile, but your D/L actuals on that BT test are horrible. Is the testing over WiFi or ethernet cable? Could you run a test on Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test  please, and see what you get?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @cherrydoodles17

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection. I've just been testing your line and the tests are showing your router's getting a download speed of 51mbps so I'd echo @jab1's comments on what to try next. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cherrydoodles17
Hooked

I’ve been testing previously on my laptop through the Ethernet cable.

The SpeedTest.net I just ran on my iPhone, gave me 42.26 mbps.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

That's looking a lot better! Does your laptop show an improved speed now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet