cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - self install options?

plutox
Grafter

Re: New customer - self install options?

Quote from: chenks76
not sure how many times the statement can be re-worded.... plusnet do not currently offer a self-install product.

OK.... my migration from BT is in progress, I have a fully working FTTC installation which I have no intention of changing*, brand new Openreach filtering etc. What will a home visit accomplish in such circumstances?
* Using a router and Openreach modem, both of which are my own property.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The OP posted a question regarding first time provision of a VDSL connection.  You are not in that position as you wish to migrate....
Engineer visits are not needed for migrations but you may erroneously receive booking information for one.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: plutox
not sure how many times the statement can be re-worded.... plusnet do not currently offer a self-install product.

OK.... my migration from BT is in progress, I have a fully working FTTC installation which I have no intention of changing*, brand new Openreach filtering etc. What will a home visit accomplish in such circumstances?

apples and oranges.
also, the openreach modem remains the property of openreach doesn't it?
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: plutox

Nothing, it will also be interesting to see if the Openreach Engineer even turns up, they didn't for my switch in from Sky and then after telling Plusnet the installation failed Openreach then switched my profile in software and put me on the Plusnet network without ever needing an engineer anyway... But again failed to tell Plusnet they where doing this.
It was a very confusing call for the poor C/S agent that answered the phone as they had trouble figuring out what had happened, they intially were saying they were not responsible for my sky service stopping working and to call Sky even though I was trying to tell them I was now seeing failed PPPoE auth attempts against the plusnet LNS's...  But they did activate my login in the end and it all worked swimmingly.
Rich28
Dabbler

What would a VDSL router actually achieve? Ok you wouldn't need the Openreach box, but VDSL routers are expensive and technology is continuing to evolve in terms of how broadband is delivered to our homes.  Plus the one you have shortlisted only has one gigabyte port - a major drawback if you have NAS
tobiz
Hooked

This is all very interesting. As a self install PN ADSL2+ user I'm considering upgrading to FTTC/VDSL mostly due to the problems PN have created with my existing connection. I'd like to self install using a Draytek 2860n, I'm currently running a 2820n (which is most certainly not the cause of the ADSL2+ issues, it's been running for 5 years, initially as ADSL). Questions: 1) I don't want to upgrade the Master Socket since the 2820n is physically nowhere near it: is this ok?; 2) there's some suggestion that different filters are needed to those for an ADSL2+ service: is this correct? Not that this would be an issue since I only have 1 filter, all DECT phones being feed from a FritzBox 7360 (yes I know the 7360 supports VDSL but it doesn't 'rack mount'); 3) Finally is moving to a self install FTTC set up a wise option given the significant number of problems PN have created with my existing ADSL2+ service (which is currently ongoing)?
tobiz
Hooked

_Adam_Walker_ please let me know when Plusnet do offer self install FTTC/VDSL as that is the route I will take.  Of course if it takes too long for PN to offer such a service I may break the habit of 12+ years and go to another ISP; let's hope PN offer the service soon.