Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - self install options?

alzadude

New customer - self install options?

Hi there,
I've just signed up to Plusnet (FTTC);
From what I read in the forums, it should now be possible to self-install a new FTTC connection (i.e. no engineer visit required).
This would apparently be possible by using a third-party VDSL modem/router (other forum users have reported success with various models), and suitable VDSL filters where needed.
Currently I am considering the Billion 8800NL: http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8800NL.htm
Can anyone confirm if this is possible? My plan was to use the self-install option, since this would be more convenient, and only request an engineer callout if there are any problems (which I am not expecting, as the process for self-install seems quite straight forward).
Thanks
Alex.
21 REPLIES 21
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: New customer - self install options?

plusnet do not offer a self-install product at the moment.
Method0ne
Grafter

Even were Plusnet to offer a self-install option, the line would have to have been previously FTTC enabled and initialised, this requires an engineer visit as it needs cabinet access to do so.
Having said that, you are quite free to use whatever hardware you so desire after the initial install as long as it works with the connection type and you have it set up properly, though if you do so and you have problems then customer support may have a harder time helping you than if you were on the supplied hardware.
alzadude

Apologies I should have been more clear in my question;
I realise the engineer will still need to go to the local street cabinet, but I wasn't counting this as a home visit;
I was under the impression that an actual home visit wouldn't be necessary, if the customer is able to provide all of the required equipment themselves...
Thanks,
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: Method0ne
Even were Plusnet to offer a self-install option, the line would have to have been previously FTTC enabled and initialised, this requires an engineer visit as it needs cabinet access to do so.

self-installs don't require an engineer visit to the premises though - this is how sky and bt do it.
they just send out the router and the customer still has to use filters.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: alzadude
Apologies I should have been more clear in my question;
I realise the engineer will still need to go to the local street cabinet, but I wasn't counting this as a home visit;
I was under the impression that an actual home visit wouldn't be necessary, if the customer is able to provide all of the required equipment themselves...
Thanks,

no, as previously stated, plusnet do not offer a self-install option, so an engineer WILL be required to visit your premises to install the openreach modem and change the faceplate.
alzadude

Ok, so two things are puzzling me:
1) Plusnet has to pay BT for installing equipment that will just be immediately disconnected and replaced with the customer's own, once the engineer has left?
2) The customer is unnecessarily inconvenienced by the home visit, which is not strictly technically necessary any more (since other ISP's are giving the option, and compatible VDSL routers are available)?
Bizarre...
chenks76
All Star

1) it is up to you whether you remove the equipment or not
2) as stated, plusnet do not currently offer a self-install option (just like the majority of ISPs). only a few ISPs offer a self install.
not sure how many times the statement can be re-worded.... plusnet do not currently offer a self-install product.
however it should be noted that the ISPs that do offer a self install insist that you use their supplied router. plusnet make no such stipulation.
Method0ne
Grafter

At least with the home visit you will have confirmation that the connection is live and working before you plug your own equipment in, so you know that if your own kit doesn't work that it's a settings issue rather than the connection itself.
I believe that this is worth the "inconvenience" of 5 minutes with the engineer at your home.
Razorback
Grafter

The installation of the new faceplate is worth the initial visit in my opinion, since it removes the need for the all the individual filters and is a much tidier and more effective option. As said above it only takes a few minutes.
I wonder if there will ever be a self-install faceplate option?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

They can be bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-Openreach-Interstitial-Faceplate-Compatible/dp/B00NE2QMY4
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chenks76
All Star

interested to find out what changes there are in the MK3 version compared to the previous MK2 version.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not sure if it's answered but it is discussed here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4360967-bt-mk2-vs-mk3-faceplate.html?page=1
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chenks76
All Star

consensus seems to be
The only observed difference between a Mk 2 and a Mk 3 is in the toroidal wound common-mode (rejection) filter. The Mk 3 has a significant increase in the number of turns of the windings. Everything else is identical.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Not much to say about this other than we have trialled this with some staff here.
Rest assured we'll let you all know if there's anything further we're able to share.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team