cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, need to wait for speed increase?

turnma
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

New customer, need to wait for speed increase?

Hi.  I've just had my fibre extra account activated today, moving in from BT where I'd previously been on their 52Mbps package.  So far I'm seeing that my speed seems to be limited at what I had previously with BT.  Hub One shows my max data rate at 5653/50242 (data rate at 5294/49883), whereas https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed shows my line speed at 78Mbps.  I know that I can expect to see some tuning in initial days, but I'm concerned that I seem to be locked on what I had with BT whereas I'd expected the package shift from 52/10 to 80/20 to show more immediately.  Is this something that needs to be looked at, or should I just be patient?  Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: New customer, need to wait for speed increase?

What speeds does it say you can expect when you put your phone number in the DSL Checker?

turnma
Dabbler

Assuming I'm supposed to be looking at the VDSL columns then it says range A is 80-62.6/20-19. Range B is 68.4-39.8,20-10.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Your speed should be set by the DLM within 48 hours ,  maybe a staff will check if you have the correct profile Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
turnma
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the profile check in the meantime!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT service advertised as "up to 52Mb" actually has a maximum speed of 55Mb, so I'd assume that your speed is being limited by the length and quality of your line, or your internal wiring if you have any and don't have a filtered faceplate. Your upstream speed seems far below the estimate, if your estimate is an accurate indication of what you should be getting, then you should have been getting within a few k of the full 55000/10000 on BT.

turnma
Dabbler

Thanks.  My upload speed was always relatively poor but I don't want to rule out that there might be two issues here.  If my IP profile is limiting my download speed then that would be a quick fix whereas the upload speed is likely to need an engineer visit.  Am I best logging a fault to get this looked at?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The IP profile is set automatically based on the "data rate" your modem connects at. Both the downstream and upstream speeds are much lower than the estimate, if there's a fault, then fixing it will improve both. I suppose you should raise a fault.

Another possibility is that the estimate is wildly wrong.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @turnma first of all welcome to the community forums.

I am sorry to hear you are having speed issues. I've tested your line and I can see your router is in sync below your estimated speed range:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 49.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.3 Mbps

I'd advise to try testing your router from the test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 and then to raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net if that doesn't help.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
turnma
Dabbler

Thanks.  Test socket increases me up marginally to 51.56/5.648 (from 50.16/5.414 yesterday) but doesn't make a material difference.  I'll raise a fault.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks, our faults team will be in touch within the next 72 hours.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button