Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer low connection speed.

FIXED
andy24

New customer low connection speed.

Hi all.

My router has been connected for over 10 days and synchronisation speeds are not what was expected.

About 3 months ago, I reported a line fault and an Openreach engineer attended and repaired the fault at the top of the street Pole. He remaked the junction box there is from 1974 and he had requested a replacement. Speeds on my ADSL2 connection dropped 20% from then on. I believe there remains an issue with my line.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
7.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 24.47 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-24.47 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 24.47 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
3.49 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.49Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

This test was not conclusive.

Postcode:
Phone exchange:

Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 32Mb and 45Mb) - Checked on 2018-06-23 20:24:29
Current line speed:
20.7 Mb

6 REPLIES 6
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: New customer low connection speed.

Fix

Hi @andy24,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've tested your line today and I can see that you're currently achieving a lower Downstream Sync Speed than expected (26.5Mbps). As this is the case, we'll need you to rule out that the issue is located with the internal setup within the property and so we can do this I'd ask that you please set your router up within the Test Socket. A guide on how you can do this can be found here. If you are able to, please also complete the other steps outlined in our troubleshooting guide which can be found here.

Please let us know once you've got the router setup within the test socket so we can retest the line again from our side and continue the investigation of this issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
andy24

Thanks.

The router is now connected to the Test Socket.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @andy24

Thanks for that. We're now seeing 40mb/s download after you've transferred into the test socket.

Could you perform a wired speed test from your side and see if this echoes the increase?

Kind regards,

Dave

andy24

Got 37Mb download so all ok here.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@andy24 Whist your speeds are now as they should be, your issue would appear to be your internal wiring. I suspect you need a VDSL Master Socket, so you don't need to carry on using the test socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear your speeds have increased @andy24

If you can I'd personally use the test socket as it's the best place for the broadband signal but I appreciate it may not always be possible, so @Mustrum's suggestion is the way I'd go if leaving your router in the test socket isn't practical.

You should be able to purchase a SSFP (Service Specific Face Plate) which is essentially another name for a pre-filtered faceplate which isolates internal wiring from the master socket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet