Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, hideously slow broadband

FIXED
KVD
Hooked

New customer, hideously slow broadband

Hello.

just moved house and taken plusnet for the first time.

we have fibre, proper master socket, hub one.

such slow broadband though.

ive done speedtests on my ipad, PC, laptop.

download speeds with wifi are: around 20mbps on ipad (even when right next to router), 30mbps on  win 10 laptop, and 1.5mbps on my win7 PC which has a very new realtek wifi usb dongle. The PC is upstairs jn my office, but its just a smallish 4bed detatched house of modern style, so no thick walls, long distances or anything.

i ohoned tech support yesterday, they tested the line, and said it was ok. They suggested I change the channels on a trial and error basis. I did this, and none of the channels were any better.

ive unplugged the phones in the house while testing.

any suggestions ?

i dont want to buy any other eqipment like booster unless absolutely necessary. 

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New customer, hideously slow broadband

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

My tests down your line aren't identifying any issues. The speed test of 30mbps you've received on your Win10 Laptop is a pretty good download speed for the speed your router is in sync at.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

Is that laptop wired to the router, or also wireless?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KVD
Hooked

Everything is Wireless.

dont know how to plug the laptop in via ethernet

every time i do a speed test on the laptop i get a wildly different result, 30. mbps or 18 for example.

i dont understand why my ipad is only getting 20mbps.

and especially cant put up with 1.5 mbps on my PC.

I was getting much higher speeds on these three devices with Virgin at my old house, 46mbps on ipad.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Have you tried changing the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi SSIDs so they are different ... some devices seem to get confused with two SSIDs at different frequencies. You can change the SSIDs on the advanced settings section... where you can also set which interface type you're using (b/g/n).

This is what I've got mine set to:

2.4 GHz Wireless Configuration

Wireless SSID: Smokey2
Wireless interface type: 802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s)
Security: WPA2 only
Channel selection: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

5 GHz Wireless Configuration

Wireless SSID: Smokey
Wireless interface type: 802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)
Security: WPA2 only
Channel selection: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

But I do find that my wireless speed tests can be all over the place - whereas a wired one is always rock solid.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

WiFi reception is notoriously difficult to predict / sort - each location is different. That is why speed test should always be done in the first instance on a wired connection. This gives you a base line figure of what your router's receiving.

If you have an Ethernet cable connect it to the laptops Ethernet port and to the router. Disable WiFi (to ensure you're on the wired connection) and run a speed test. If possible you should re-run the speed test using the test socket behind the face plate on the master socket.

If speeds are as expected then you know you have a WiFi reception problem. If you have your old router if may be possible to connect this to try the WiFi.

Brian

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Everything is Wireless.

dont know how to plug the laptop in via ethernet

Does the laptop have an ethernet/network port on it? If so you'd need to plug the ethernet cable we provide with the router in to one of the 4 ports on the back of the router and then in to the laptop too. Doing this will help pin down whether the issue is a purely wireless one or something on the line itself.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
KVD
Hooked

Ive tested the laptop (wireless) upstairs in my office and its gone down from 35 mbps to 20 mbps.

i also plugged ethernet cable as described, but have no idea how to change it from wireless to wired connection.

i havent done any of the other advised stuff, as this seemed like the easiest first option, which ive then got stuck at.

please don't asume Ive got any tech knowledge lol

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmqXo9G58vQ

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
KVD
Hooked

Thanks for the youtube link.

i cant understand what hes saying, nor can i follow what hes doing, far too complicated and intimidating.

Do you think I could just get plusnet to cancel my contract and try someone else instead? Maybe i would have more luck with another supplier

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you can't figure out how to turn your WiFi off, I wouldn't worry too much about it as a wired connection usually takes priority anyway. Let us know how your speed looks once you run a speedtest with your laptop plugged into the router.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KVD
Hooked

Ok. The laptop whilst plugged in was 37 mbps. 35 mbps when wifi near the router.

still 25 when wifi upstairs.

my ipad is 21mbps near router, and 20 upstairs.

my win7 pc with realtek wifi dongle upstairs is 1.5 (one point 5 ) mbps

thanks

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Sounds like the realtek dongle doesn't like things.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for doing the tests.

I agree with , it does appear the issue lies with the realtek dongle. Sad

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KVD
Hooked

So what would help me?

do i need a wifi card rather than a dongle? Or a different dongle?

or would a booster or a powerline or something help?i dont know anything about available tech.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Ideally, a powerline adapter is the way I'd go so that you can effectively use your laptop wired to the router.

If that's not possible, I'd probably look at a WiFi card (if your laptop supports that), or a different dongle.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet