Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - good results

Casey
Rising Star

New customer - good results

I was on Bt Inf 2 - I was getting 45 megabit on the "up to 74 MBit" line

A month ago it dropped to 35 then 33 - and they refused to do anything about it.

One "customer service" ***** even called me a liar when I said I'd had 45 for four years before the drop!

So i switched to PNet

The fibre became working today.

Very first speed test - one everything exactly the same except for PNet and PNet Hub 1 - 46 megabit!

Depending on the test, it ranges from 43 to 46

If Plusnet can keep this up they will have a happy long term customer!
12 REPLIES 12
Casey
Rising Star

Re: New customer - good results

Just out of interest - are these Ok numbers for signal/noise?

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:54:32

6. Data rate: 7196 / 47693

7. Maximum data rate: 7466 / 47697

8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.0

9. Line attenuation: 28.6 / 22.2

10. Signal attenuation: 28.2 / 20.4

11. Data sent/received: 67.2 MB / 517.8 MB

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Hello,

Welcome to plusnet, those stats look fine for the line length. If I'm correct DLM monitors line and makes changes on the 3rd day so make sure that router don't get rebooted or it may reduce speeds.

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's 48hrs that DLM will monitor the line for but it will intervene before then if it sees the line is unstable to hold sync the line stats look good so i don't see DLM doing anything going forward unless you get a huge burst of interference or something before then.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Those stats look good! Glad everything is performing as expected for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Casey
Rising Star

Tuesday 3pm

44 down, 6.8 up

The upload speed is faster than BT ever was (5.5)

The download speed is great - equal to four years of BT and 10-13 faster than the past month!
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I suppose it depends why you got the speed drop. It's a bit puzzling because simply moving from one BT Wholesale provider to another wouldn't normally have that much affect. If moving from a large ISP to a small ISP there could be a change in peak-time congestion but I doubt that's a factor here.

If there is a fault on your line the ISP switch shouldn't have any affect as long as you're on the same underlying package (80/20 in your case I assume). But if you've somehow changed packages you would have had a DLM reset which for the time being at least might have restored your speed.

But the most likely explanation for me is a change of router. It may have resulted in you shifting to a better channel or perhaps the PN supplied router has better wifi than your BT router. Of course if you're using the same router none of this applies.

All-in-all it's puzzling but I hope it continues for you. I'm just a little concerned that if it was caused by a line fault the effect may be temporary as DLM adjusts for the new package.

Casey
Rising Star

Well... I was on HomeHub3 and the PNet One is equiv to HH5

But I REALLY believe that BT have started to cripple Inf 2 users (especially those with high data use) to "bandwidth pay" for their recent rise for Inf 1 customers.

I don't accept that a line that was getting a solid 4 years of 45 suddenly drops, by accident, to 33 and doesn't rise again ** AND the drop happened just as they started to advertise their "new higher speed for Inf 1 customers!! WOW!!"

** sure, it can happen, water in the line, work being done, car crash.. but they get fixed. I had a month of 33 or 35 AND the scum at the customer service calling me a liar over the 45 MBit rate!
Andrue
Pro

@Casey wrote:
But I REALLY believe that BT have started to cripple Inf 2 users (especially those with high data use) to "bandwidth pay" for their recent rise for Inf 1 customers.

I don't think bandwidth costs work like that. The major cost to an ISP is how much peak time you spend fully utilising your connection because that's where contention comes from. But a higher speed connection generally spends less time in full utilisation simply because it's harder to saturate it.  

Now obviously a torrent freak on 5Mb/s costs the ISP less than a torrent freak on 70Mb/s but torrent freaks are not common. Most people have bursty traffic patterns and all that the higher speeds do is allow those users to spend less time grabbing the data they need. They therefore make it easier for ISPs to share their bandwidth with multiple users.

Think of it as the difference between moving a load of hay behind a tractor (complete pain in the bum to everyone following them) to moving double the amount of hay in an HGV (far less of a pain in the bum). Faster connections don't automatically lead to higher usage. There's only a small number of weirdos who persistently max out their connection by trying to keep a local copy of the internet. The majority rarely max out their connections for very long, if it all.

So I think an ISP would rather provide its users with the fastest data transfer their connection can handle rather than trying to limit them.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Changing providers would be only way to get a DLM reset unless you've had a fault fixed, but I thought OR can only do that from the customers house? Or is that possible from the cabinet.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's possible for both they can also call in and ask for the reset from their own support, one engineer had to do that for me  becasue it wouldn't reset from his device had to call in and get his support to do it so it's possible for a remote reset.

Andrue
Pro

Well hopefully the OP will continue to enjoy their restored speeds for the foreseeable future. All the rest is just technical speculation only of interest to us geeks Smiley

Casey
Rising Star

Well... I would hope it's of interest to customer with problems and incoming new customers

Today's speed is 43.8 down. still good - a variation of 1-2 is expected.