Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, can't connect

Mrstauf
Dabbler

New customer, can't connect

Hi,

I have just connected my router today
But the broadband username is defaulting to setup@plusdsl.net and although it connects I cannot get on the internet, and if I change it to my username and password it will not connect, and router light turns orange, I have rebooted and reset router many times, over the last 5 hours of trying to get it going,but no joy☹️

Not a good start plusnet, also on my 2nd router as the last one was dead on arrival so been without internet for a week now since changeover, and my wife needs it as she works from home so is running up a big mobile bill from tethering ☹️

So any help would be appreciated
17 REPLIES 17
On00jh2
Hooked

Re: New customer, can't connect

Mine is exactly the same as I posted on thread below.
Hopefully it will be sorted soon.
Croger
Grafter

Iv got the exact same problem hopefully someone can help us with this stressful moment as its not a great first experience atm -_-
Mrstauf
Dabbler

On00jh2

Seen as no mods are replying to our posts I thought I would share this with you.

I phone them up earlier and explained the problem, apparently they have a problem were passwords are not being saved on router, he configured settings or whatever needed doing at there end and told me it is now showing as "connected" (although it was last night) and all I need to do is reset router and put my password in, I'm not at home at moment but will report back when in a while when I get back, hopefully it will work so I don't have to spend another hour on hold 🙁

Good luck with yours!
On00jh2
Hooked

Well I assumed it was that, as the standard setup.plusdsl.net account doesn't require a password. This connects but just gives me the spinny circle on the first time setup thing. I may try my old router if this is the case and see if that works tonight. Not happy though I never had any problems with sky.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

can't you put in the username and password manually

On00jh2
Hooked

When we put them in manually it doesn't connect. You get an orange light and a solid red B on the router. Even though it said my account was active 2 days ago
Croger
Grafter

A mod had replied to my post saying its a problem on there end where its not saving the password we enter hopefully it will be sorted soon but im at work -_-
Mrstauf
Dabbler

Just got home and found its connected👍🏼
So seems only way to sort it is to give them a ring at they will sort it there end

When I left it this morning I had the correct username/password on the router and left it with the orange light/ red B showing,

Good luck all!!
Mrstauf
Dabbler

Just tested my speed and got 313k/sec!! I know there's a settling in period but I was getting around 700k/sec before I went to fibre!

What sort of speeds should I be expecting during settling in period? I was quoted 10mbs when I signed up
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How are you testing, wired or WiFi?

What sync speed is the router showing, log into the router and read the speeds on the Help Desk tab? Max attainable and sync?

Mrstauf
Dabbler

I tested wired, then again on wireless just to get a screenshot, below are the details of connection 

6. Data rate: 1221 / 3415
7. Maximum data rate: 1221 / 3502
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation: 17.9 / 37.7
10. Signal attenuation: 17.9 / 26.1

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What speeds does it say when you put your phone number in the DSL Checker?

Do you have one of the newer Master Sockets with a test socket under the faceplate? If so, to eliminate any internal wiring issues it would be worth seeing what speeds you get in there - if not, it would be worth getting one fitted.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Mrstauf

That max data rate seems to indicate that either you are on ADSL or you have a real problem with FTTC.

If you are supposed to be on FTTC (Fibre) then you need to look at the helpdesk information on your router and look for the line that says modulation and check if it says G.992.x or G.993.x . 992 is ADSL and 993 FTTC

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mrstauf
Dabbler

Just checked modulation as it is as below:-
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

I have tried unplugging router from line to reset connection, and carried out all the tests suggested on here but no joy,

I know it's still settling down but surely I should be connecting faster than that, it's half the speed I had on adsl