cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - can't connect to WiFi

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

New customer - can't connect to WiFi

My fibre broadband was set up yesterday but none of my devices will connect. Android phone and HP tablet say "unable to connect" and iPhone keeps telling me the password is incorrect.

I have wired connections set up which seem to be working OK, but no devices will connect to WiFi.

Please help!

36 REPLIES 36
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: New customer - can't connect to WiFi

Have you tried connecting using the WPS button which negates the need to press the button ... though I’m not sure that iPhones support WPS!!

Which iPhone what iOS? Some iPhones do flip flop between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands if they have identical SSIDs. Logging into the router and going to advance settings and splitting the WI-FI channel names (just add “5”) onto the 5GHz name has delivered improved connectivity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

I'll look up how to do WPS and give that a try.

EDIT: Can't find any settings for WPS on Android or HP tablet.

You have completely lost me on that bit about iPhones!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Under the default setup the router broadcasts two Wi-Fi signals having the same names (SSID) on different frequencies - 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Connecting devices should chose one depending on its capability and the relative strength of each and then stick to that channel. Some iPhones do not stick to the chosen frequency overly well but flip flop between the two of them. I have seen iPhones do this and also report incorrect password. Making the SSIDs distinct can eliminate that issue albeit not overly conveniently!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

OK. So how do I solve that? And also connect to Android and HP tablet via WiFi?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In the first instance try WPS on those devices. Note that the pass phrase is case sensitive.

Is this the Plusnet supplied router - without modification?

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

I can't find out how to get devices to connect to WPS. Pressed the button on the router and opened settings on my phone while stood next to it but no options for it and nothing pops up.

Yep router straight out of the box yesterday. Not a good start!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

IMG_3560 (2)_LI.jpg

For the avoidance of doubt, can you please confirm that you are using the code marked blue as the WiFi password, all letters being lower case?

Alternatively just point the devices camera at the QR code and try that.

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

Yep sure am!

Will go try the QR code now.

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

Can't find anything on that help page to solve my problems. Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I am confused.  Scanning the QR code should present a "Join WiFi" prompt.  Clicking JOIN should do exactly that.

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

When I scan the QR code it takes me to a Help & Support page.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

IMG_3561.jpg

Most odd - when I scan the QR code on an iPhone (as in taking a photo ... not using a QR scanner!) this is what happens.  Clicking the JOIN prompt at the top initiates the join dialogue.  As above, which iPhone and what iOS?

@bobpullen  - my illustration is using a PN Hub One despatched around 2 years ago.  Has the QR content been changed?

I am running out of ideas to assist - best hand this over to staff! @Gandalf 

gemmarathbone
Dabbler

On both my Android and iPhone it takes me to the help page.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@gemmarathbone As you were obviously with a different ISP previously, I wonder if the following might help:-

On both your Android and iPhone, do a 'soft reset' - totally power down the phones, wait a couple of minutes, then restart them and once restarted, try the usual connection method - select your PN router from the list and press the connect button, this should bring up the box to enter the password (key) on the router - in the case of my old PN router that was 2C906E4FD6 - note that it is case sensitive.

Try the same thing on the HP tablet.

HTH

John