cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - activation on 21st

Chronos
Grafter

New customer - activation on 21st

I have an activation date of the 21st for fibre as a new customer. It seems the router hasn't been sent out yet and Royal Fail are so far behind in this area I very much doubt I'll see it until the new year.
I have a VDSL2 capable router and know exactly how to set it up. My worry is that Plusnet will shove the activation date back. So what are the chances of actually getting jumpered up on the cab on the 21st as promised?
13 REPLIES 13
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Re: New customer - activation on 21st

Router won't be posted until around 3 days before your activation date, best thing to do if you hear nothing is get in touch with plusnet on the live chat around 3-4 days before your live date and just get them to check your order is still on schedule.
Stevef1
Grafter

Quote from: Chronos
I have an activation date of the 21st for fibre as a new customer. It seems the router hasn't been sent out yet and Royal Fail are so far behind in this area I very much doubt I'll see it until the new year.

Check out some of the recent threads made by us new customers mate.    I'd get out while you can, sadly my activation was delayed for about a week and my "14 day cooldown to cancel" was over before my line was activated and atm I'm getting download speeds of close to dialup at times and even at best I cannot watch youtube as it plays 10 secs and spends 2 mins "buffering".  and I'm supposed to be on a 40mbps download.  (last speedtest gave me download 0.8mbps, upload 1.6mbps, ping 316)
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There are plenty of people who have successfully moved, they tend not to post though, so if you are getting confirmation from PN that all is OK, then it should be.
Have you had confirmation from your current ISP that your service is due to transfer?
As mentioned above, the router seems to be sent about 3/4 days before you need it, but if you have one that will work, you may want to carry on using it.
This place does seem to get a lot of people complaining about their experience, but many seem to have come from people who have less technical experience.
Stevef1
Grafter

Quote from: Mustrum

This place does seem to get a lot of people complaining about their experience, but many seem to have come from people who have less technical experience.

I'm sure that's true but that's not all of us, I've been building my own computers since the 90's and I've tried a mountain of things, including 4 different routers and nothing I can do on my side will affect/fix this incredibly erratic connection.  sorry if I'm sounding harsh but my net is my lifeline, I'm disabled and almost never get out so I utterly rely on my net and right now I can barely do a thing so yeah, I'm annoying, frustrated and angry.
Chronos
Grafter

@nightstalk3r: Thank you for that reassuring reply. If it's just going to be the router that's late and the connection date will be as advised, that will be just fine. I know my cab's a Huawei so I'd probably be using the router I already have to avoid vectoring incompatibilities anyway. The Hub One seemed like a handy device to have as a backup for just P&P.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Building PC's is a great skill, understanding Telecoms and its limitations does not always follow. I am lucky, I can throw stones at the exchange. the cabinet is a little further away, speeds are great, but now and then things go wrong and need a reset. However, the further you are from the exchange, the older the wires, the more connections you have, and all the other variables, the worse the experience/speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've just double checked your order and it's still showing fine for the 21st, let us know if you've got any other queries we can help with.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chronos
Grafter

Thank you, Chris. Smiley
Chronos
Grafter

Humble pie time: The Hub One arrived this morning  Lips_are_sealed Thank you PlusNet.
This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion but great choice of innards for the all-in-one. The Lantiq VR9 is said to be perfectly fine with G.INP with a recent xdsl blob, there's vectoring support in the latest one and, unlike the TD-Wx980 which uses an XWAVE 200 on 5GHz, the ath10k AC radio in the Hub One is well supported by a certain open source firmware project, albeit only in trunk right now. If it were the B variant of what you have once you take its party frock off, that door slams firmly shut.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's arrived.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Chronos
Grafter

I still have no telephone, folks. I'm not blaming Plusnet, this is an OR flamingo-up[1] as usual - it seems every time they touch cab5 someone's line goes mams vertical - but I really do need at least emergency calls as my mother is disabled, has COPD and is slightly loopy (yes, it runs in the family).
[1] As Holly said, it's a bit bigger than a cock-up.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I understand you raised this via the phone troubleshooter on the member centre.
The estimated response time we've been given by our suppliers is 05/01/16 Sad
However having said this, it does look like an engineer was assigned on it earlier today. I hope you're not waiting too long for the fault to be resolved.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Chronos
Grafter

Thanks, Harry. They did turn up, but...
Openretch van arrives, bloke opens the conduit access by the pole on which our DP is mounted and fiddles with the patch frame in there - no idea why as they haven't touched that at all before my line went off. DSL is up and down like a fiddler's elbow. He then goes off to the cab, whereupon I thought he would finally sort it when the DSL went down for another ten minutes, which turned out to be a triumph of optimism over experience. DSL comes back, still 54 down and 18 up on either router (I have a TP-Link TD-W9980 running OpenWRT as well as the Hub One).
Trouble is, the phone is exactly the same as it was, i.e. one wire from the exchange to the cab, no ground. The cab grounds my segment cab->home so I get a 50V PD at my socket but there's now a massive antenna between the cab and the exchange and the line isn't balanced any more so it introduces an imperial muck-ton of common-mode noise which I assume the cab can't filter because the characteristic impedance of the input line is screwed so it degrades the DSL signal. Do Openretch not have test handsets any more? Surely he can't have mistaken this https://www.chronos.org.uk/owncloud/index.php/s/dVup90EoI35wekp for a dial tone? I'll bet a pound to a pinch that they've knocked my ground out of the frame when they disconnected the old jumpers at the exchange DSLAM.  Angry
Top marks to Plusnet for getting them out on the 23rd December, though. Still not blaming you folks, you've done all that is humanly possible, so have a good holiday and we'll sort this out in the new year Wink
Edit 24th: Seems more and more likely that it is exchange side. I'm seeing a drop in sync speed (Now 48 down 18 up) as the ground dries out, which is what I would expect as the noise rises if the exchange->cab segment is missing its ground. Could still be either end but I'm betting on exchange since yesterday's messing with the cab didn't fix it.