cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Dramatic speed differences

catbone

New customer - Dramatic speed differences

I changed to Plusnet one week ago and obviously expected ups and downs in speed for a couple of weeks while the line settled. However - I am currently getting approx 54 mbps during the day but from about 7pm this slows down to (right now) 0.43 mbps!! I literally cannot do anything online, my Netflix is at a standstill and I’ve had to switch to 4G on my phone (with another provider) just to get internet.

My question is, will this settle down or should I cancel now and choose a new provider?
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New customer - Dramatic speed differences

@catbone  Welcome to the forum.

To put your cancellation thoughts into perspective are you aware that you have 14 days from the day that you sign up, not the go live day, to cancel in order to avoid heavy cancellation charges?

The first thing that needs determining is whether this is a network slow down or a wireless problem. Do you get this massive slow down with the hub connected via a filter directly to the BT Master socket when measuring the speed,with nothing else connected to the network, via a computer connected directly to the Hub through an Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

catbone

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

Yes the hub is connected via a filter directly to the BT master socket. I have no way of connecting anything with an Ethernet cable as my devices are new and have no Ethernet sockets.

I doubt it’s a wireless issue though as the speed is fast during the day and I have no problems with the connection at all but it then slows down to under 1mbps after 7pm?
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @catbone, thanks for getting in touch.Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @BD 

Have the exchange records been checked for capacity issues or "Hot SVLAN"

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.