cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer (10 days) and line speed well down from BT infinity and estimate

elrao
Dabbler

New customer (10 days) and line speed well down from BT infinity and estimate

Was a BT Infinity customer from day 1 and although I was on infinity 2, my max speed was 39-40 Mb (actual downloads at 4.7-4.8 MB/s).
Switched to PN unlimited 76Mb service 10 days ago.  My estimated speed was 40-60, so I thought it was worth a punt to go with the 76Mb option over 38 in the hope I'd get 50+.
Unfortunately I'm getting a lot less and a lot less than I got from BT.  Current speed reported as 28.4Mb, which matches my real download speeds in the range 3.2-3.4MB.
Telephone number:
01277xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
BRENTWOOD
Estimated line speed:
60Mb (This may vary between 39.8Mb and 60Mb) - Checked on 2016-02-03 15:58:59
Current line speed:
28.4 Mb
Not happy at the moment!!
23 REPLIES 23
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New customer (10 days) and line speed well down from BT infinity and estimate

I've tested your line and it's come back with a potential issue on the phone service, however the fault type it's reporting is commonly caused by something plugged in to the line at your side. Could you unplug everything from the line and let me know when that's done so I can retest and see if we get the same results?
Downstream Speed 32.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.0 Mbps
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus
Description: FAULT - Loop (Rectified)

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elrao
Dabbler

Re: New customer (10 days) and line speed well down from BT infinity and estimate

Thanks, can't unplug everything for very long though - as all we have plugged in is the house phone and the burglar alarm.  Is there a way to arrange to have this test done when I am home and can unplug everything there and then?
2 years ago we had a new line fitted from the mast to the house, and 6 months ago we had a new master socket fitted - with a single cable from the junction box on the front of the house to the master socket (no connections).  House phone is then connected directly to the filtered side of the master socket and alarm is run as a slave off the back of the filtered side. 
It is EXACTLY the same setup we had before, apart from swapping the BT open reach modem (with BTHH4) for the One Hub on the broadband side of the master socket.
Can however confirm speed has improved slightly, am getting 3.7MB/s real downloads (but still over 1MB slower than BT) and well under my estimated speed of 40-60Mbps
elrao
Dabbler

So I thought I would raise a support ticket, as your chat is offline (and probably disabled from my work PC anyway) and if I call I know they will only want me to start un-plugging things which I can't do as I am at work.
Turns out you can't raise a ticket (and haven't been able to for some time), all this talk about great customer service - am yet to see it!!
I figured out how to raise a fault ticket - got all the way through to the last step and then got a website error!  WORST SYSTEM EVER. 
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Quote from: elrao

Chat is working here but are you using an adblocker or ghostery? You may need to turn them off to get chat to start..
I do wish PlusNet would either change the coding of that page or, at the very least, put a note on the page saying that initiating chat can be prevented by many common browser security measures.
elrao
Dabbler

Yeah, like I said it is probably disabled on my work PC, we aren't allowed any kind of email or chat programs ... But forums work!
Tried to call, now I've come home earlier...30 minute wait time...5 people ahead of me on chat.
mav:quote
elrao
Dabbler

If anyone from plus net is reading this, I've plugged the supplied micro filter into the test socket and reconnected the hub one. Nothing else connected.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

what are the sync speeds
elrao
Dabbler

With everything disconnected, including the modem, it still showed the same fault.
I then disconnected the master socket and it changed to an external fault, reconnected master socket and fault switched back!
As it showed an external fault, they've raised it to "the supplier" to investigate.  I did see an openreach guy working on my cabinet the day I switched and the day the line speed dropped, coincidence?
All connected back up now, and getting same 31.2 connection.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. It's strange, but the fault location of these loop faults can vary each time we test the line. Did you run this test yourself using our phone troubleshooter online? If it found a fault with the master socket disconnected, then the issue would lie externally and our suppliers usually respond to these faults within 48 working hours. I'd recommend contacting us via webchat for an update in a couple of days if the issue still persists.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
elrao
Dabbler

All tests were run by Hayley on the support team, was chatting to her throughout on web chat (on my phone - not the easiest!!).  She raised a fault as soon as she saw it come up as an external fault, 27 hours left on the clock ....
dick:quote
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've checked the fault for you now and our suppliers would like us to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. As you've tried disconnecting your master socket and the problem still persists, we'd like to arrange this engineer. I've updated your ticket with more detail.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
elrao
Dabbler

Quote from: Anoush
I've updated your ticket with more detail.

And I have replied ...
elrao
Dabbler

Having checked the line, the connections in the cabinet, connection on the pole, the gable of the house .... it turned out to be a faulty BT master socket.  Replaced and no fault, now back over to PN to sort out the line speed issue!
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hello there. The line is syncing at  32.4 Mbps, which is under your speed estimate. This needs to be raised as a broadband now, unfortunately. If you could raise it at http://faults.plus.net, our faults team will pick it up and be in touch shortly.