Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New broadband slower than old

FIXED
dasym
Hooked

New broadband slower than old

I have fibre broadband on a business line from Zen Internet that has a download speed of 30 Mbps. I'm giving this up and have just been connected to Plusnet on a separate residential line. The download speed is only 14 Mbps and the BT test results say that my IP Profile is 5.99 Mbps. Is this likely to increase over the next few days? If it doesn't would I be able to get my home phone and Plusnet broadband moved to make use of the soon to be redundant business phone line?

Any advice appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New broadband slower than old

The first question has to be what speed did Plusnet say you would get? Put your phone number in here and it should give you the necessary information straight from BT  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/.

A new connection will probably come with the DLM SNR set to 6dB. If you have a good connection then this should reduce with a resultant increase in speed over the coming days/weeks (the time it takes is a bit variable).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dasym
Hooked

Thanks. Plusnet said 32 Mbps and the checker you suggested confirms that. From what you say it sounds like it should increase as time goes on.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It won't increase that much!

Does your residential line have a new filtered master socket? If so have you tried the router in the hidden test socket?

Or are you plugged into an extension?

dasym
Hooked

The residential line only has one socket but it just looks like an extension socket. I don't know where the master socket is. I think I'll need to try and get the service moved to the other physical line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there.

Something definitely doesn't seem right somewhere as your router is in sync at 16.5mbps which is below the estimated speeds for your line which are between 20mbps to 32.4mbps.

Unfortunately we can't move your line we're providing to the line Zen are providing. If you want us to provide the other line we'd essentially need to place a migration order to take the line over which would mean a 2nd account needs creating.

That said as your speeds are below what we'd expect them to be, I'd pursue this by reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net however based on what you've said about you've only got one socket for your line with us and it looks to be an extension socket this may be the cause of the problem.

If it is the cause, there may be a call out charge of £65 for an engineer visit though the engineer would generally provide an up to date master socket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dasym
Hooked

Thanks. I don’t mind if there’s a call out charge if that’s the problem. I’ll report the fault and see what happens. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet