cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - Fibre Broadband issue with Sky TV

niccameron6
Dabbler

New User - Fibre Broadband issue with Sky TV

Hi All,  Hope someone out there can help.  The Fibre broadband seems very slow or intermittent, I have fibre unlimited and moved from sky broadband,to get fibre at a better price. I have had the Sky engineer out today as I thought it was my sky box playing up.  He has replaced the box and the dish and still have problems.  The router is connecting but the on-demand won't stay connected.  Have Plus Net put software on the systems to stop sky working?  Also I have Samsung S5 and so does my husband and we both struggle with the connection to the WiFi, even when the signal strength on the phone is strong.  this also happens on my tablet.  We also have an Android box which has buffering issues, this is connected by Ethernet cable. But they are never all connected at once, if someone thinks I have too many items connected.

I moved to Plus-net for the great fibre offers, but have had nothing but trouble connecting since joining, I'm starting to wish I had stayed with sky.  

11 REPLIES 11
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: New User - Fibre Broadband issue with Sky TV

sounds like the majority of your problems (including the sky problem) are to do with your WIFI network, and not specifically the fibre connection.

could be a duff router, could be a congestion issue (try changing the WIFI channel if it is).
jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you able to say what your assigned ip address for router is in settings. Ive been having problems with my sky box since saturday and thats connected by ethernet im also on a 51.6.x.x from plusnet which seems to be having problems at the moment. Does your ip start with 51.6.x.x?

Andrue
Pro

@niccameron6 wrote:

Have Plus Net put software on the systems to stop sky working?

Lol, no. I can assure you that my Sky box works fine. The only complaint I have is the way Sky keep dropping the HD versions of older On Demand programmes but leave them in the list.

Also I have Samsung S5 and so does my husband and we both struggle with the connection to the WiFi, even when the signal strength on the phone is strong.  this also happens on my tablet.

That might be local contention with your neighbours although if it was fine with your Sky router I'd expect it to be fine with the PN one. If you have another router kicking around you could give that a try. PN don't require us to use their router.

We also have an Android box which has buffering issues, this is connected by Ethernet cable. But they are never all connected at once, if someone thinks I have too many items connected.

I don't think anyone's going to think that. Not for Ethernet devices. It's possible to overload most domestic wifi routers if you get enough people round for a party but most of them can handle a dozen devices. And on Ethernet they can handle several dozen. Possibly a couple of hundred.

I moved to Plus-net for the great fibre offers, but have had nothing but trouble connecting since joining, I'm starting to wish I had stayed with sky.  

Well my advice to people has always been that you get what you pay for. People who scrabble around for the cheapest ISP nearly always end up in the bargain basement. However PN defies that trend. Despite being relatively cheap their service is still amongst the best available so in theory you should not be having any problems. Having said that though problems do sometimes crop up.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum section titled 'Fibre Fault Guides' that is worth reading and actioning.

But in the meantime don't panic. Although PN is cheap it's actually a pretty good ISP and it's some kind of fault that you are experiencing not a limitation of their service.

niccameron6
Dabbler

Chenks76 it still happens even if I put the Ethernet cable in

niccameron6
Dabbler

jordanc123 - I'm at work at the moment so can't check until I get home.  If it is that, is there a solution to the problem?

jordanc1230
Rising Star

All plusnet has said is they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution i haven't had on demand since saturday. whenever i press catchup it freezes, sometime it will load the icons for providers and other times it says their is no internet connection even though their is. Plusnet said to me today to switch my router off for an hour which should force a change to use a different ip range. Some of those with problems on the 51.6 range have said they were only resolved by getting a static ip (£5 setup) from plusnet in the 80/81 range.

niccameron6
Dabbler

jordanc1230 - that's exactly what I'm getting!! Spent 3 hours on to Sky over two nights then they sent their engineer out today.
But at least I have a new sky box and dish, at no extra cost.  He did say that he was trying to get a hold of his boss and see if
they could push something from their end with PN.
jordanc1230
Rising Star

When your back home from work and can check if your broadband IP in settings does start with 51.6 report it to plusnet as i believe they are attaching all effected accounts to the reported problem. Some are also saying 146 range is effected to.

niccameron6
Dabbler

Guess what? my IP address is 51.6!!!  I'll report it now!!

AndyWarren22
Hooked

Same here on 51.6 IP range!

niccameron6
Dabbler

Get it reported. The more reported the better chance of getting it fixed