Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Upgrade

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

New Upgrade

Just been upgraded from PN ADSL to FTTC
Speeds not quite as expected, expected 26/6. Anything need to be done or will it increase in time ?
Let's be careful out there !
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Upgrade

You're currently connected at:
Downstream Speed 18.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.1 Mbps
So the speedtest results are about right for that sync. However these speeds are below the estimates for your line so I'd suggest going through the faults checker at https://faults.plus.net so we can see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks
Done and I've added to the ticket:
17.73 down
2.64 up
24.63 ping
and after the test I got:
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
I'll leave it with you  Smiley
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Just a quick question.
I just have the new NTE5 mk3 master with no extensions.
The engineer has left the old microfilter in place connected to my cordless phone setup. Can I remove it ?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It "should" be totally unnecessary (and irrelevant either way), but if the phone doesn't ring put it back.
I actually do have a DECT phone that requires a ring wire signal so it has an otherwise irrelevant filter.  Crazy
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. I've had a look around and one BT link said that ADSL filters can be detrimental so I've removed it. Quiet line test OK, phone still rings.
PeterLoftus
Pro

i dont think phones have needed ring wires for about 30 years  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

The other thing I've spotted is that he's used the white lead with orange tips instead of the black lead with red tips to connect the modem to the router.
I'll shut up now and wait  Grin
carlmagic
Grafter

I think the only difference between them ethernet cables i can remember is how many pairs are actually working inside.
The yellow has 2 pairs (4 wires) and the red has 4 pairs (8 wires) meaning the yellow can only do 100mbit and the red can do 1gbps.
dick:quote
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

OK thanks. I'll leave it alone unless I'm told by PN to switch them over as I don't want DLM to reduce my speed.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Update:
Openreach been and there is a fault on the line between me and the green box. Another Openreach appointment will be made for a 'broadband boost' engineer to test and rectify the bad joint when found.
Thumbsup to Plusnet for getting this started so soon after activation  Smiley
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Second engineer has cleaned and produced a 2Mbps down increase, upload very slightly up by 0.2Mbps.
My estate has aluminium wiring which is deteriorating and needs replacing but who knows when. Maybe DLM may increase me slightly.
Basically it's as good as it's going to get so BT's estimate is off.