cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router

Radiankh121

New Router

How much would plusnet charge to replace my 2704n router with one of the plusnet hub one routers i am a fibre customer but i signed up afew months to early to get the new router and the wifi on the 2704n is very weak 3 metre clear line of sight and signal to weak for XBOX One Streaming without stalls every few seconds and xbox reporting network issue(the xbox is Wired connect laptop is wifi with both on wired the issues do not occur)
17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New Router

The Hub One router isn't available for existing customers just yet I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
anniesboy
Rising Star

Will existing customers be informed when this becomes an option?
Say in Announcements on this forum.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Just upgrading to Fibre, and very disappointed with the PlusNet supplied router, no 5GHz or Gigabit ports!
Really, in 2015. Is 802.11ac and Gigabit ports too much to expect?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Not_I
From a router that you get for free and is entirely optional? Yes, that's too much to expect.
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
]From a router that you get for free and is entirely optional? Yes, that's too much to expect.

Don't see why. Virgin supply an AC router with gigabit ports and dual 5G/2G for free - no postage either. They will even replace it totally free of charge if it goes wrong.
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Quote from: Not_I
Just upgrading to Fibre, and very disappointed with the PlusNet supplied router, no 5GHz or Gigabit ports!

To be fair, the P/N router is essentially free bar the postage. I am a brand new customer, just switched from BT and because I was already on fibre, I already have a BT Homehub 5 router which is dual band (and I do need a dual band router). Thankfully the BT Hub is extremely easy to set up with Plusnet, took me all of about 10 minutes to get up and running.
So yes, I hear you regarding dual band and it's a shame that the P/N router isn't dual band. Thing is, I'm now stuck with a router from P/N I'll never use and the rather ridiculous separate Openreach modem that was sent out to me, which again, is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I'd send both back if P/N sent me post paid bags!
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: jem16
Don't see why. Virgin supply an AC router with gigabit ports and dual 5G/2G for free - no postage either. They will even replace it totally free of charge if it goes wrong.
VM position themselves as a premium ISP. PN are a budget ISP.
Since the cost of the free routers is covered by existing subscriptions I'd rather PN keep it cheap. Their router will do for most people and those who want something better can spend their own money. Don't see why I should subsidise other users beyond the basics required to access the service.
jem16
Grafter

VM position themselves as a premium ISP. PN are a budget ISP.

Wonder why PlusNet is dearer than Virgin then?
Andrue
Pro

Wonder why PlusNet is dearer than Virgin then?
Dearer how?
VM 50 is £34.99 a month. PN 40 is cheaper at £31.98 a month.
VM 100 is £39.49. PN 80 is cheaper at £36.98 a month.
Now granted VM offers slightly higher speeds on each package but not by all that much. Furthermore VM has the advantage of being the sole supplier. PN have to buy a service off BT Wholesale who have to buy a service off BT openreach. VM prices would have to be a lot lower before they could be considered a competitor at PN's end of the market. By charging roughly the same VM are making a lot more money than PN.
jem16
Grafter

VM 50 is £34.99 a month. PN 40 is cheaper at £31.98 a month.
VM 100 is £39.49. PN 80 is cheaper at £36.98 a month.

I suppose it depends on what you are comparing - VM 50 is now VM 70 and as you say is £34.99. Compare that with PN 76 at £36.98.
LRS with Virgin is cheaper at £164 compared to PN at £185.88.
Furthermore VM has the advantage of being the sole supplier. PN have to buy a service off BT Wholesale who have to buy a service off BT openreach. VM prices would have to be a lot lower before they could be considered a competitor at PN's end of the market. By charging roughly the same VM are making a lot more money than PN.

What has the amount the supplier earns got to do with the customer?
Andrue
Pro

VM 50 is now VM 70
You'd better tell VM then. Their website only lists 50 and 100
What has the amount the supplier earns got to do with the customer?
A lot. If you don't understand that then it explains why you have such high expectations of PlusNet.
I'll try and keep it simple for you: The better the profit margin a company has the more it can spend on giveaways. VM has far higher margins than PN and so it can afford to give away better kit. No-one who knows what PN are and knows their history would expect anything special from their free router. They just don't have a the funds to fritter away on expensive kit. Is their router disappointing? Yes, as modern routers go it is. Is that a surprise? No. Or it shouldn't be if you understand the UK ISP market.
But it doesn't stop there. Those who understand the UK ISP market will realise that the best ISPs (and in a lot of ways VM isn't one of those) won't try and attract customers with free routers. They will understand that people who want the best ISP will want to choose and supply their own router. Free routers are for people who don't know how to configure a router or can't be bothered. They are a mass market gimmick. Good ISPs might sell routers at a discount but they won't give them away.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Matthew
The Hub One router isn't available for existing customers just yet I'm afraid.

if a customer was to say they would cancel unless they were offered a Hub One (even if they were willing to pay for it), would that still be a firm "not available" ?
considering that it'll be just over a month when OR stop supplying the separate modem, it would take a brave person at PN to risk losing a customer over it.
jem16
Grafter

You'd better tell VM then. Their website only lists 50 and 100

I think they already know. Speed upgrades started from 1st October. I expect their website will reflect those upgrades once everyone can get them.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=51538&CURRENT_...
However I think the main point is that, price wise, PlusNet is no more thought of as a "budget supplier" than most other ISPs - prices are all very similar. Even BT has had better offers recently.
Some suppliers, as you say, make it very difficult for customers to use their own routers. Virgin, however, isn't one of them but their latest Superhub 2ac is actually very good.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

PlusNet is no more thought of as a "budget supplier" than most other ISPs - prices are all very simila

I'm paying less than £15.00 per month for my unlimited 80/20 with PN, less than half the cost of Virgin. If you think Virgin are so wonderful & such good value then why not use them?
Re routers, I bought my own Asus router years ago. Smiley