w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New Router

Hi denny111,
you could start here: http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=132800.msg1160442
Do you have a budget in mind?
Any other desirable features?
If you have an openreach modem and don't mind sticking to a two-box solution there's a much wider choice of 'cable' routers available that might suit your needs.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

There isn't much choice for combined units atm, the manufacturers have been slow to fill a niche in the market place.
I try keep a list of the available combined vdsl modem/routers.
To be honest most of them have some quirk or other as some of  the manufacturers seemed to have suddenly rushed to get them into the stores, so bugs are still being found in the GUI or dsl drivers.
The TP-link TD-W9980 though is now relatively stable, but even that at first had a bug which I reported whilst beta testing.  They delayed release for a while until they corrected a fault [with bitswapping] and it seems fine now. 
The speeds you will get are similar to a  ECI modem as it uses the same Lantiq chipset.  The downside is that the linestats are very limited, although TPlink have said that they will look into this for a future firmware release.
Personally I like the Broadcom based chipsets, as they tend to give slightly higher sync speeds and provide comprehensive information about the line. 
Cant really fault the TP-Link TD-W9980 on price, although if you're a linestat freak or want to eke a bit more speed then go for a Billion or Zyxel.
The Billion Bipac 8800NL is certainly worth a look at, let down only by the lack of GbE ports.
The Zyxel VMG8324 has more hardware type features than the Billion, but the GUI is still buggy in places..  however it works well on my line and on the whole  Im happy with it .  Ive currently got a line fault so switched back to the BT HG612 modem to check it wasnt a problem at my end, but since the Zyxel still worked best Im leaving that on for now.
Vikpal
Grafter

Piggybacking off this thread:
I want to get a new Wi-Fi router too, but am okay in using the supplied BT Openreach box for modem duties. Can I use any Wi-Fi router then? Currently I have a Open Reach box for the fibre modem duties and a technicolor 585 for Wi-fi. I want a Wi-Fi router that is ac capable and supports 5 GHz operation. Any suggestions?
A related question: With ADSL, I had only one box to which I  could log in and check stats on the line conditions. Now, it appears that it is not possible to login to the Openreach box (at least Plust Net never provided me with anything) and no line stats are available from the Technicolor box (obviously). Does anyone know how to get line stats in this case? Also, with ADSL, the login and password would be used to authenticate to PlusNet as there was one box. How does the OpenReach box authenticate to PlusNet  given that it does not have these details?
Sorry for obviously stupid questions in advance.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Second question first: The Openreach box is configured as a 'dumb modem'. the router handles authentication via PPPoE.  Line stats aren't available since the 'modem' is locked down.
Some possibilities here for AC routers that should work with the Openreach box: http://www.cnet.com/uk/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/802-11ac/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.