cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router (sagemcom) seems to be pretty flaky

vimesuk
Grafter

Re: New Router (sagemcom) seems to be pretty flaky

I flashed the Technicolor router using Windows 10 and the utility. all that I did was to use compatibility mode and Windows 10 sorted that out for me, doing it manually did not work.
It flashed fine for me without issue connected directly to my wife's laptop via an Ethernet cable.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: vimesuk
I flashed the Technicolor router using Windows 10 and the utility. all that I did was to use compatibility mode and Windows 10 sorted that out for me, doing it manually did not work.

Had to make it do compatibly troubleshoot to get it to work
vimesuk
Grafter

That's the phrase to use, couldn't remember the exact wording. At least it works though.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well done chaps, that explanation & method will no doubt come in useful for some other users Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I found that the tg582n couldn't support 6 devices connected via a switch so replaced it with a billion, I replaced that with another billion when I was having modem trouble and  I haven't had any major problems with the router, when I contacted support about the problem with the tg582's device limit I was informed it could only support 3 wired connections when used on fibre which meant I relegated it to a box in the cupboard, however its supposed to be capable of supporting up to 15 devices via wifi (nothing wired) which was totally useless to me since I need wired for gaming ...
I would recommend finding out what type of cabinet your on then getting a router with matching chipset, but ensure its ipv6 capable for the upcoming switch on next year  especially if you have more than the small number of devices they support that you want connected all the time
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
vimesuk
Grafter

I changed my Modem from a ECI type to a Huawei type and flashed the firmware to unlock it. After G.INP was enabled at the cabinet I had real issues with my modem prior to doing this.
I suppose that it only matters what chipset your router has if it has a modem built in as well, otherwise it is the modem establishing the connection, as such...?
@nanotm - Over the years the number of wired and wireless devices we have connected to our router, via switches or directly, has grown and I found that the Technicolor would struggle to cope, unless it was just getting faulty, the mor ethat I connected.
What Billion router do you use..? And would you still recommend it...?
SteveA
Pro

It crashed halfway through   Roll_eyes - but a hard reset and then connecting to its default wireless network and reloading my saved settings worked. .. luckily I'd backed them up!

It looks like the program needs to be set to run as Vista !
nanotm
Pro

currently i'm using the 8800axl xdsl modem and router all in one, it has a bug in the current firmware when you use multicast but there is a simple workaround for it and so long as you remember to reboot it every few weeks its stable, before that I had the 7800dx and only got the new one because I needed to replace the bt modem (which kept dropping the line)
there are some who say its the best and others who say its junk, it depends on what you need and what your used to more than anything else, personally I found them pretty simple to configure using the tutorials available from the billion uk forums, theres a wealth of info out there but the kit is expensive and designed primarily for small business use where there is likely someone who's done a course in networking, but it fits my needs and allows up to 32 clients on wifi and iirc up to 250 clients on wired although I don't max out either of them and likely wont in the future I do have almost permanently connected 12 wifi devices and 30 wired devices sometimes more (the wired stuff is connected through a variety of switches and homeplugs)  and it doesn't seem to have any hiccups when everything is switched and being used, often there will be 8 multiway Skype /facetime video chats going on  whilst streaming films and playing online games and using the iptv channels (and that's just the kids on an average day) all without impacting my ability to play games on pc or console.
so yes I would say its a good bit of kit, the 7800dx router has a maximum throughput rate of 600mbps and the newer 8800axl has a throughput of 660mbps (they use the same chipset) so unlike the tg582n your not going to saturate its upstream connection before you max out your lines bandwidth, I have on many occasions streamed multiple large file downloads at the same time as all that other stuff is going on, most recently I was downloading guardians on the xbox whilst also downloading 5 games on 3 pc's and all that other stuff was going on and I was still able to browse the internet without any problems from my wifes tablet I think the usage page for that day was over 300gb and most of it was done within the same 4 hour period /
vimesuk
Grafter

Thanks for the post detailing your Billion router / modem. From reading what ou have written, and a little from Amazon, it does seeem to be a very impressive piece of kit, at a price.
Whether it would be something that would suit my needs over what is, as yet, attainable with my OpenWRT flashed TP=Link router and BT modem combination I do not know. But at least I now have, along with an Asus type, another router to add to my list of possible upgrades.
As I previously noted I am surprised at the amount of wired devices, connected by multiple switches, which have access through the router - including media streaming from a server in the loft, and HD CCTV etc etc. The wireless connections are also growing in number as time passes, even though when people visit they get "guest" access to the Wi-Fi and not the home network.
I remember my old Billion router when I had just an ADSL connection, complete with Skype sockets. At the time the best support for them was via their AU forums and site IIRC as the UK aspect of support was quite pitiful. Not sure if that has changed.
When I checked my connection recently it had around 60 plus days uptime and that reminded me tha tthe router needed rebooting, I am hopeful that the OpenWRT firmware will maintain its responsiveness better until its next reboot.

Cowboy

Hi
The PlusNet Sagemcom 2704N router that was supplied with my YouView + box will not allow me to set static DHCP IPs to my network printers.
I have a PlusNet technicolour TG582n router with 10.2.5.2 EO firmware which does let me set static IPs. However, this needs multicast compatibly to work correctly with BT Sports etc.
How do I install 10.2.5.2 FO firmware to overcome this problem.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

As far as the 2704n is concerned, log into it using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html then go to >Advanced Settings >LAN.
For TG582n Firmware, see http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ ; .   The Library article 'How to Use the firmware update tool', has the Windows 7 version under Downloads and the comment about the TG582n under Note:
See the previous posts above for use in Windows 10.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: vimesuk
Thanks for the post detailing your Billion router / modem. From reading what ou have written, and a little from Amazon, it does seeem to be a very impressive piece of kit, at a price.
Whether it would be something that would suit my needs over what is, as yet, attainable with my OpenWRT flashed TP=Link router and BT modem combination I do not know. But at least I now have, along with an Asus type, another router to add to my list of possible upgrades.
As I previously noted I am surprised at the amount of wired devices, connected by multiple switches, which have access through the router - including media streaming from a server in the loft, and HD CCTV etc etc. The wireless connections are also growing in number as time passes, even though when people visit they get "guest" access to the Wi-Fi and not the home network.
I remember my old Billion router when I had just an ADSL connection, complete with Skype sockets. At the time the best support for them was via their AU forums and site IIRC as the UK aspect of support was quite pitiful. Not sure if that has changed.
When I checked my connection recently it had around 60 plus days uptime and that reminded me tha tthe router needed rebooting, I am hopeful that the OpenWRT firmware will maintain its responsiveness better until its next reboot.

well I got mine when it had a sudden price reduction earlier in the year, iirc it was around £60 and a few pence cheaper than the 8800nl at the time, most likely one of those amazon automatic price change functions that unfairly benefitted the consumer Smiley
as to the amount of connected kit, I found that after moving to my current property and then getting fibre the number of network connected kit went up quite a lot, of course in a few years it will go down a lot as the kids go off into the world, of course my current kit will likely be replaced and most of that will likely need an internet connection as well so its swings and roundabouts /
as to the support from billion, billion fan does a good job during office hours on the forum and there tech team answer tickets quite fast, always within a week and often within the hour so I cant complain about that (especially when compared to some other support sites)
with respect to your options, the possibilities grow every few weeks with new kit coming on the market all the time, but be careful as some of the lower budget stuff despite claims that it supports ipv4 + ipv6 often can support one or the other rendering rather useless when you will likely need dual support /
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: Cowboy

How do I install 10.2.5.2 FO firmware to overcome this problem.
Thanks

You don't need 10.2.5.2 FO to run multicast for IPTV. I was on 8.C.M.0 and it worked fine... it just showed Multicast as being disabled even though it wasn't.

Anotherone
Champion

It might not actually work with the EO firmware though, I don't know. Cowboy is more likely to know that, and oh Welcome to the Forum Cowboy, forgot to say that in my previous reply.
SteveA
Pro

Ah yes - that might be true... Its been one of those days at work  Shocked