Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router (sagemcom) seems to be pretty flaky

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

New Router (sagemcom) seems to be pretty flaky

So I got a new router as part of an ongoing TV issue.
Does anyone else find that the wireless connection  often will show you as connected but you're not and you have to disconnect from the wireless and then reconnect?
Also I also find that the router itself shows itself as connected but when you tell it to do a connection test it basically fails. Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes that too.
I'm tempted to go back to the old router which seems to be significantly better than the new one.
29 REPLIES 29
SteveA
Pro

Re: New Router (sagemcom) seems to be pretty flaky

Three wireless hangs and two internet "disconnects" in one evening. The last one needing a complete reboot.
According to my wife its been like this all week...
This whole thing is getting beyond a joke....
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Steve there are threads galore on this board, the Hardware board and some on the ADSL board about this very issue. An on-line phone rep even told another customer that they hadn't had complaints. Absolute rubbish.
Quote from: spudbynight
What has frustrated me with dealing with plusnet's technical support is their refusal to concede that their might be an issue with the router. I've been told the following :
A) We have had no complaints from customers about this router
B) As you are on your second router the problem can't be the router, it must be something else.

SteveA
Pro

I think I'll swap back to the older router which is still hanging from the wall (the new router has mounting points but you can't actually use them).
Wireless locked up again this morning  Angry
SteveA
Pro

Well after a day of random "stalls" and wireless lock ups I switched back to the TG582n FTTC and my speeds seem to have improved, and its been a rock solid wireless and internet connection since I swapped back.
Do you think PN will want the useless Sagemcom back?
I've updated the ticket I have open saying that Ive switched back to the older router because the Sagemcom is unreliable....
Anotherone
Champion

Just to double check, does the TG582n have the Software Release 10.2.5.2.FO firmware? This version of firmware is multicast compatible - you might want to add that comment to the ticket if you've been told otherwise.
If it's not the FO variant, you can upgrade it.
SteveA
Pro

No it has
Software Release: 8.C.M.0
Software Variant: DG
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3684778B
Board Name: DANT-T
It reports Multicast disabled even though it is working. PN pushed a configuration to it when I went onto the TV service and it was working fine (until 2 months ago)
And upgrading it isn't really practical
"Do *not* attempt the firmware upgrade from a computer that is connected wirelessly."
Well my Tosh Satellite doesn't have an ethernet connection....
Anotherone
Champion

One of the CRT can arrange for the 10.2.5.2.FO firmware to be pushed to you. Hopefully they will pick it upon Monday.
vimesuk
Grafter

I didn't know that CS can push a firmware update for the Technicolor router, I just flashed the 10.2.5.2.FO firmware myself after dowloading it.
I was hopeful that the Sagemcom might have improved the Wi-Fi strength, guess not. As PN wanted me to sign up again for another 12 months coontract before sending me one I decided to just updated a TP-Link router ( TP-Link TL-WDR4900 v1) to OpenWRT and I use that instead now.
Anotherone
Champion

CRT can arrange for Products to push it, some of them may be able to do it themselves. Unfortunately a lot of CSC Agents and similarly those on Chat don't seem to be aware of that.
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: vimesuk
I didn't know that CS can push a firmware update for the Technicolor router, I just flashed the 10.2.5.2.FO firmware myself after dowloading it.

Does the newer firmware make any difference compared to the older version?
As I'm on call next week I'd rather not have my router firmware flashed as any problems means I'll have to drive into work in the middle of the night if things go wrong
vimesuk
Grafter

I was never able to find any release notes so I do not know what changed from one to another. My biggest gripe with the Technicolor was the Wi-Fi range and strength of signal, it was pretty bad. It also give me an impression that it soon got overwhelmed, not the best word to describe it, with the many connections and use placed on it.
The 5Ghz/ 2.4Ghz dual band Tp-Link seems far more robust and typically get 60 days plus of stable connection etc. I just flashed tha twith a OpenWRT firmware and I find the Wi-Fi strength to be much better for our needs.
Anotherone
Champion

The Wifi performance of any router with 2 internal aerials will generally not be as good as one with external aerials BUT a lot can also depend on the specific location/position and orientation as well as the structure of the building in which it's being used. (5Ghz signals will generally not travel as far as 2.4Ghz indoors). The TG582n should cope with upto 15 devices IIRC, certainly 10. (I expect someone may recall the precise numbers).
@SteveA
see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121504.0.html
This thread whilst primarily about IPv6 tunnelling has some interesting bits about firmware
but see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html whilst that is on the ADSL board, it was posted before the ADSL/Fibre board split and in any event that firmware can be configured for ADSL as well as Fibre.
You can hold off on any firmware upgrade being pushed until a more convenient time, that shouldn't be an issue.
SteveA
Pro

I have access to another laptop but it's running Windows 10... does anyone know if the flash utility is Windows 10 compatible.?
Anotherone
Champion

Does Window 10 have a compatibility mode for the Win7 version of the utility? But there is another method see this and subsequent posts.